Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power Supply Output Switch Controll Circuit - N-Channel MOSFET

Status
Not open for further replies.

David_

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello.

I am designing a +-30Vdc adjustable power supply and i would like to have on/off capability's, right next to the output connector of each rail there will(I hope) be a momentary push button that will toggle the relevant rail on and off along with a power out LED.
I have never used them before but it sounds like a N-Channel MOSFET arrangement could be a good option, the supply is based on regulators and the transformer is a 28V-0-28V so there will be +-39Vdc available to control the MOSFETs and the thought is to have the MOSFET switch as the very last thing before the output connector.

The button push will be received by a microcontroller which then would toggle some sort of circuit on/off, but is this a viable idea?
Or is it better to use relays perhaps, the max current from the supply will be in the neighborhood of 3A.

The goal is to easy switch the outputs on/off with the switch making minimum impact on the regulator output.

Or is it plain stupid to do it this way and not before the regulators?

Status
Not open for further replies.