Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power supply for ICS

Status
Not open for further replies.

nalawade

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want make a power supply to feed these IC's

LM35
Pic16f886
Ht12E Encoder
Rf Transmitter.

All the above Ic's require 5 Volts DC supply.

How do I make a power supply for These IC's. All are on the same PCB.

How do I calculate the Power required by a particular IC ?

Suppose an IC requires 5 volt DC supply and we give that IC exact 5 volt supply. ( connect the supply parallel to that IC)

If the maximum current provided by the 5 Volt supply is .5 Amperes .

But the IC requires only .5 mili Amperes of current.

My question is, will that IC draw only 0.5 mili Amperes of current ?

I want make a power supply to feed these IC's

LM35
Pic16f886
Ht12E Encoder
Rf Transmitter.

All the above Ic's require 5 Volts DC supply.

How do I make a power supply for These IC's. All are on the same PCB.

How do I calculate the Power required by a particular IC ?

The easiest way to design a 5VDC pow supply is to find a 9-12 VDC transformer plus rectifier, and regulate down to 5.0 VDC with a 7805 regulator.
If the transformer can provide >1 A A current, then the 7805 output will stay at 5.0 V at up to 1A load. For lower current lke 0.1A you can use a 78L05 regulator in a smaller case.

There are low-cost plug-in wall DC power supplies with a 5.0V regulated output, some can deliver > 1A current to a load.

Power required by a particular IC is specified in its data sheet. On finished circuits you should use an ammeter (good DVMs have 20A current range) to find how much they take at 5.0V or other specified voltage.

Suppose an IC requires 5 volt DC supply and we give that IC exact 5 volt supply. ( connect the supply parallel to that IC)

If the maximum current provided by the 5 Volt supply is .5 Amperes .

But the IC requires only .5 mili Amperes of current.

My question is, will that IC draw only 0.5 mili Amperes of current ?

Answer is located above

- - - Updated - - -

Some ICs take low current like 0.5 A. To use the 7805 series regulators it is recommended to add a load resistor to increase the load to >10 mA.

Thanks a lot.

Can you also tell me how to calculate the resistance of a particular ic. Is it done by dividng that IC's Typical operating voltage by it's Typical operating current ?

Resistance= IC operating voltage/ Ic operating current ?

Status
Not open for further replies.