Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power Protection and Charging Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

slide

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm planning on using Polymer Lithium Ion Batteries for a project and need some help designing a circuit to prevent over discharge as well as a way to charge all the cells. I plan to have 3 in series to make 11.1V and have at least 2 of these packs in parallel.

Added after 24 minutes:

I've been looking at the **broken link removed** and the **broken link removed** seems like a good choice. To charge the 3 series batteries. How though should I handle the parallel packs? While external power is applied 'disconnect' the two packs and have 2 MAX1737s charge each pack?

In Notebook battery pack all the batteries are soldered and always connected with each other. So I think you should use the same way.
Why do you want to prevent only overdischarge?
The most dangerous is overcharge condition.
How many samples you are going to manufacture?
There is a lot of protection ICs for LiIon batteries with different configurations (1, 2, 3, and 4 cells). The most popular are Seiko and TI ICs.

I want to protect against over charge as well, I didn't mention it because most charge ICs have this built in. I'm only going to create 1 maybe 2 packs

Status
Not open for further replies.