Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power Parameter: Load, Heat, or Same Thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theboom

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Digikey parameterized query includes "Power - Max".

Does it refer to amount of power the device can transfer to the load? Or watts the device can dissipate as heat? Or, same thing?

i thought watts dissipated as heat is the energy not run through the device, ie the energy not going to the load, because it's blocked by resistance.

I asked Digikey chat, and their answer seemed contradictory:

Generally, what the device can tolerate being run through it. So the latter, what it can dissipate. In many cases the two numbers will be close to the same, but you'll generally want to ensure you've got at least a few watts in reserve rather than redlining the parts.

The 'Power - Max' field is generally held to be what power you can safely run through the device, as rated by voltage times current. Putting ten watts through a hundred milliwatt rated trransistor will burn up the transistor, as the wattage calculation accounts for power not being dissipated by the device. The field is meant to be intuitive.

The answer will be different whether you refer to a resistor, transformer or transistor.

For transistors, I would expect to see maximal power dissipation in the table. I verified, that it's apparently the case for Digikey. Not sure if your question to Digikey clearly referred to transistors. If so, the answer is inappropriate.

You shouldn't however expect the comparison table to be more intelligent than the datasheet. There are often multiple specifications for different operation conditions, e.g. regarding different heatsinking. Power transistors sometimes specify a theoretical maximum power dissipation with fixed case temperatur (corresponds to infinite heatsink).

Reactions: theboom

theboom

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thx for your reply.

The answer will be different whether you refer to a resistor, transformer or transistor.
Indeed, it's for BJT transistors. Sorry for not mentioning that.

For transistors, I would expect to see maximal power dissipation in the table. I verified, that it's apparently the case for Digikey.
In the Digikey table, i see "Power - Max", not "maximal power dissipation".

Not sure if your question to Digikey clearly referred to transistors. If so, the answer is inappropriate.
Which answer? The support agent seemed to give two different, contradictory ones.

Power transistors sometimes specify a theoretical maximum power dissipation with fixed case temperatur (corresponds to infinite heatsink).
By that, i assume "Power - Max" refers to watts the device can dissipate as heat, and not watts the device can deliver to the load. Correct?

That's surprising to me, since i see values in the "Power - Max" table as high as 300 watts. I'm surprised that an application would dissipate 300 watts as heat!

Generally the Max Power refers the absolute power the device can dissipate under some ideal condition, and has nothing to do with the power delivered to the load.
In practice, the maximum dissipation is often a lot less than that.

It is indeed confusing. We see something like this in Digikey:
1654781499632.png

So there are "Ta" numbers and "Tc" numbers. Some FETs have one, some have both.
The Tc number refers to the amount of power the device can dissipate when its case temperature (aka Tc) is held constant at 25C. Basically it assumes you have a perfect heatsink and the ambient temperature is 25C.
The Ta number refers to the amount of power the device can dissipate when the ambient temperature (aka Ta) is 25C, but it's mounted on some sort of standard fixture (depends on the package, but usually it provides very little heatsinking).

What you can actually dissipate is usually between Ta and Tc, but usually these numbers are different by an order of magnitude or more. But these numbers are useful for making comparisons between devices and packages.

By that, i assume "Power - Max" refers to watts the device can dissipate as heat, and not watts the device can deliver to the load.
Device specification refers to what it can handle regardless of what is delivered to the load. Anyway, one should consider Digikey's parameter filter as a general guideline, not the spec itself. Note that for semiconductors most often datasheet give the SOA graph that depending on biasing values, will lie quite below specified 'maxim power'.

So there are "Ta" numbers and "Tc" numbers. Some FETs have one, some have both.
The Tc number refers to the amount of power the device can dissipate when its case temperature (aka Tc) is held constant at 25C. Basically it assumes you have a perfect heatsink and the ambient temperature is 25C.
The Ta number refers to the amount of power the device can dissipate when the ambient temperature (aka Ta) is 25C, but it's mounted on some sort of standard fixture (depends on the package, but usually it provides very little heatsinking).

What you can actually dissipate is usually between Ta and Tc

There is so much untruth here.

Tc is the case temperature at which the power dissipation is specified. It has nothing to do with holding it "constant at 25C". The manufacturer may specify 10 Watts at 25C or 2 Watts at 50C. It actually comes down to the Junction-to-case thermal resistance and the maximum junction temperature.

Knowing max Pd at Tc and your ambient temperature, you can determine the required thermal resistance of your heatsink.

"What you can actually dissipate is usually between Ta and Tc". This statement makes no sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.