Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power electronics - Battery usage control

Status
Not open for further replies.

saopaulo

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi there,

I'm working on a renewable energy source project for school and I have the following problem:

I have a battery that has been charged by the renewable source, and so I'd like to use it whenever I can. However, given that it will not be able to provide enough energy for the whole system all the time, I will also have to use the normal power network to complement the use of the battery.

The problem is I don't know which component I can use to control the power supply battery-network, favoring the battery. I have thought about a UPS, but I think that it's not quite right since on those the main power source is the network and usually the battery is built into it.

Thanks a lot, anything will help

Whats the problem ?
Y not build a pwr supply that will pwr the system and charge the batt too ?

I don't know, maybe that could work.

The thing is I don't know much about power electronics and I'd just like to know if there is a controller like the one I described, one that would allow to switch between the main network and the battery according to the charge of the last.

Is there?

Thank you for your answer anyway :)

A grid-tie inverter is the sort of thing you are looking for, I think. They usually have an higher voltage input than a SLA battery though, 48V upwards generally I think.

They are really intended for connecting a renewable DC source like a photovoltaic array or wind turbine into the grid. When connected and given power, they basically become just another power source on the grid. If you charged a battery bank and connected it to the input, then that would be fed into the grid until the battery died.

Really though, a grid-tie inverter is probably a much bigger solution than you are looking for. I don't know of anything else off-the-shelf that does what you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back