Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power 80A MOSFET in to-220 Packages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Millington

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have come across the ST Microelectronics' STP80PF55 and STB80PF55 P-chanel MOSFETS with an 80A continuous current capability.

I need to control about 150A in the high-side, so I am planning on a few of these im parallel, to form aa rudimetanry solid state, uni-directional relay.

My question is, if these things (in a to220 or D2pak) can handle 80A (obviously with some major thermal relief, how on earth can you integrate them on a PCB. Even if you could keep your copper area as short as possible to your terminal connections, surely you'll need severl ounces of coper substrate to take the current?

Am I right, or is there a better way to PCB mount these. I am not planning to have any other control electronics on the same board as the MOSFETS, and will have m8 terminal studs mounted to the pcb for drain/source connections.

Regards

Steve

You can use copper bus bars (Solder-able type) to reinforce the PCB tracks also use multi-layer PCB with parallel tracks on each layer & multiple (PTH) Via's to stitch
the layers.

You can use copper bus bars (Solder-able type) to reinforce the PCB tracks also use multi-layer PCB with parallel tracks on each layer & multiple (PTH) Via's to stitch
the layers.

Thanks very much!

Not the most elegant solution, but certainly a good comprimise for my application!

Steve.

Not the most elegant solution
If you consider it elegant to conduct high currents on a PCB, why not the suggested solutions? You can get PCB with copper layers up to 6 oz. (210 µm) from qualified manufacturers. In any case, the overall design, including external wiring and thermal managment decides about the preferable mounting technology, I think.

I have been looking into thick substrate PCB manufacturers, and have found one who will plate up to 16oz/sq ft! I have received a sample, and the results are quite impressive to say the least.

I completely agree, though, that correct thermal management of the conducting wires and PCB will be vital, and improving this will ultimately give me more options.

Thanks once again for the feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.