Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Post the best design on opencores that you know of

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrflibble

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Post the best design on opencores that you have come across. Could be big, could be small, doesn't matter. Just a design that excelled in some way. Good code readability, awesome design, well organized and usable documentation (hah, as if!).

And since I started this thread, I'll go first:

... nope, can't think of a single one. I could go back to try and find the least crappy one that I evaluated and post that url, but that's not really the idea. Guess that should be "Post the best design on opencores that you have come across and found actually useful" then. Here's hoping I just had bad luck or I generate vacuum at locating useful design resources.

Few years ago i used Richard Herveille Cordic Core in a project. Documentation is definitely lacking some explanations, but core is well parted in small and easy to understand modules, so it can be modified easily.

The problem with opencores is that it is a home for hobbyists and students, not serious designers (Im sure most of the people on there think of themselves as serious designers :p ). Hence the lack of documentation as hobbyists often design for themselves, not other people.

I have perused opencores.org occasionally, but never for very long. Using anything off there in a company would be massively frowned upon due to lack of ongoing support, poor documentation, poor code etc.

Saying all that - "Proper code" from "proper companies" can be just as bad. But usually there is a contract negotiated to get ongoing support. Nothing like a bit of cash to get what you want (or sometimes a lot of cash for something not quite what you want).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back