Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

possible to do Analog simulation using High speed clusters and Parallel processing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anilmutha

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello All,

I mostly use scripts to do Spectre simulation. We here have a high speed cluster and we would like to leverage it to reduce the speed time of simulation. So I have decided to join a course which uses openMPI or C ( not really sure about the language ) to parallelize the code.

Does anybody here have any experience on using cadence spectre simulation on high speed clusters? or if anybody can give me feedback on how useful this course would with respect to cadence spectre simulation.

Cheers
Anil

As a prerequisite, Spectre would need to support multiprocessor operation. And you should have the respective software versions and licenses available. Why don't you ask at Cadence?

Thanks for the reply FvM. Anybody else has any experience with distributed processing on a cluster?

Here is what Cadence had to say:

Spectre already has an option called "APS" which gives access to enhanced performance without sacrificing accuracy, as well as being able to take advantage of multi-core machines which can give major performance increases overall. It also has capability (early access in MMSIM10.1 but enhanced in MMSIM11.1) which allow you to distribute parallel performance using multiple separate machines which can help in certain situations (contact Cadence to find out more about that).

I doubt going on the course you describe would help, because it will be focused on how you write programs to take advantage of multi-core architectures. Not much you can do if you have existing executables - you'd need the source code and also understanding of how to make the algorithms parallelizable (which is by far the hardest bit compared with the mechanics of using any API) - so clearly that won't help. That's the part that Cadence has done for you.

Anybody got anything to contribute?

I would rate this a qualified response, given by someone who knows what he's talking about.

Learning programming for parallel computation can give useful background knowledge. But I guess, it won't have to do much with possible practical problems when starting to work with the Accelerated Parallel Simulator.

Did you also check APS prices?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back