Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Polyphase Filter Buffer driver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

_RFIC_

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
polyphase network

Low-IF receiver, mixer+polyphase filter to reject image.

Between mixer output and polyphase filter, do we need a buffer?

For low power operation, a emitter follower buffer driver has very bad linearity. How to design the buffer?

Hi _RFIC_,

Yes it is necessaryto have buffer between polyphase network and source Also it is importan that you have a high impadance load. Emitter follower is bad solution it have a limitted dinamic range. Best solution is to put some low comsuption OPAMP and that you put it in +1 follower schematics. Than you can obtain controlled performances from audio poly-phase network.OP type dual AD8079 10mA (noise 2nV/SQRT Hz and AD 8137 3.6mA........

GL XTASA

Hi xtasa,
Thanks a lot. But I still have questions.
You mean the buffer is realized by an opamp connected as a follower? Can this method be applied to a single chip receiver? In IC design, is this a practical solution? 10mA is very close to the current consumption spec of the whole receiver chip, in low power design, what is the better solution?

Could you draw a sketch for your system that you consider, I can help you..

BigBoss said:
Could you draw a sketch for your system that you consider, I can help you..
**broken link removed**
Thanks BigBoss, here is the sketch. In fact we are investigating the architecture of the Low-IF receiver. Two options: I/Q mixer + Polyphase + IF filter. Another is I/Q mixer + Complex Filter. Low power is the main concern. I have no idea which one is better: power consumption, noise, dynamic range, chip size ...

As shown in the pic, the block R is a PPF driver. What I am asking is the actual implementation of this block. How to make it low power and high dynamic range? I have two papers, both from ST. The first one use an VGA Amp and the other one is just a voltage follower (I really doubt its performance).

Anyone can help?

Hi _RFIC_,
Do you design the circuit in IC level?
If so,a differential amlipifier input stage usually can do this job.It consumes resonabel power.
Hope this helpful.

hanm

Status
Not open for further replies.