Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PML in HFSS, Proper port to get S21

Status
Not open for further replies.

monir

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

I have a simple rectangular wave guide filled by air. I want to apply PML for boundaries in x and y direction and electric wall for z direction boundaries. and then take the S21 of of the structure which should be 1 since wave guide filled by air.
There are some tutorials on how assign PML in HFSS but they are applying plane wave incident wave and calculation the RCS. However I need to have 2 ports to calculate S21 and I can not use waveport since I have PML.
I also have tried lumped port, it is working but it has wring results. (S21=0.3 instead of 1)
could anyone guide me what should I do to build this simple structure and get S21?

Best
Monir

Hi Monir,

I'm not sure what you are describing for your setup - is the waveguide along the z axis? So you're terminating the waveguide on either end in PMLs?

If this is the case, you don't need/want to use PMLs to get the scattering parameters. Simply apply a waveport to a rectangle on either end of the waveguide and ensure you are exciting the desired mode.

Good Luck

Hi

This is a test set up to see if the PML works or not. I have an air wavegide along x axis. If I consider electeric wall (perfect E) in top and bottom (boundaries in z) and magnetic wall (perfect H) in y boundaries and 2 waveport at both end I could get S21 =1 becouse all energy will transfer. Now I consider PML at y and x boundaries and remove perfect H, it should still have S21=1. The problem is that in the location of ports I have PML. So I can not use wave port. So how can I get S21 of the structure.

Best

Hi Monir,

I'm not sure what you are describing for your setup - is the waveguide along the z axis? So you're terminating the waveguide on either end in PMLs?

If this is the case, you don't need/want to use PMLs to get the scattering parameters. Simply apply a waveport to a rectangle on either end of the waveguide and ensure you are exciting the desired mode.

Good Luck

Now I consider PML at y and x boundaries and remove perfect H, it should still have S21=1

Why? With the PML, the structure now has 2 "open" surfaces. Saying that this structure should not leak power does not seem correct to me. I assume you're exciting a TEM PPW mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back