Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Pls help me to solve some beginner problem !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

darrenbkl

Hi all,help me solve this problem pls,I m a begginer.

1) Using Thevenin's Theorem,find the voltage across R4.

2)Simplify the circuit external to R3 to its Thevenin Equivalent.

Hi, i'm not going to solve it for you, but i can help you.
(I'm at work right now :D )

In this link you will find the Thevenin theorem, and and example of how to use it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thevenin's_theorem

In this link you will find how to use complex variables to solve the circuit:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_impedance

To calculate the thevenin equivalent, you must calculate the open circuit voltaje, and the short circuit current, take a look at the fist link.

For the circuit in the figure 1:
First: remember you are working with inductors and capacitors, they have complex values, where j is the imaginary unit. j=sqrt(-1).
The values of these components are:
XC=1/(j*5k ohm)
XL=j*3k ohm
And the source is Vs=50
Procedure:
Calculate the parallel betwen XC and R2, it is X1=(XC*R2)/(XC+R2)=(j*9.9k)/(3.3+3*j)
After that calculate the series between what i call X1 and R1, it is X2=(XL||R2)+R1=1k+((j*9.9k)/(3.3+3*j))=(3.3k+12.9k*j)/(3.3+3*j)
After that you must calculate the parallel between i call X2 and R3 givin X3, after that you can calculate the voltaje Vab as Vab=Vs*X3/(X3+XC).

To solve the circuit in figure 2:
First, the complex values of the components:
XC=1/(120*j)
XL=90*j
Vs=75
Procedure:
In this case the procedure (Not the procedure to find the thevenin equivalent, i mean the procedure you must follow to solve the circuit and find Vab and Rab) is a bit different, because you must calculate the currents in the series circuits (XC&R3) and (R1&XL), after that you can calculate the voltaje in A and B, by the voltaje divisor, for example if we call A the node between XC and R3, Va=Vs*R3/(R3+XC).
To calculate the Rth (Thevenin equivalent resistance, or impedance in this case) you must eliminate the source Vs, after that you calculate the impedance the circuit between the points A and B sees, ie, (XC+R1) in parallel with (XL+R3), so you get: Rab=((XC+R1)*(XL+R3))/((XL+R3)+(XC+R1))

Please take a look to the links i've posted, i'm sorry but my english is not so good.
Please make the calculus by yourself, i can be wrong (Not in the general procedure, i hope).

I hope this can help you.
(If someone see this and find some error, please post the correction)

Regards,
Diego Bouvier

Status
Not open for further replies.