Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Please share your experience on 8051 Microcontroller..

Status
Not open for further replies.

nvp

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello Friends,

I am in design with 8051 microcontroller project. It is great if you people share your experience on the same. Any type of do's and don't do's are fine..

Also if possible provide me some usefull materials...

Regards
NVP

Hi,
The experience is huge, as well as the number of materials presented at elektroda, about this subject. Search at e-books download. If you need opinions, you'll have to be more specific. What is your project, what you are trying to realise?

Try this site: http://www.8052.com. It has a lot of stuffs.

Ask any questions at its forum

**broken link removed**

It is professional forum for '51 derivatives.

Regards,
George

Hi Friend,

I would like to know, which compiler should I use to compile C program for 8051 Microcontroller and how to download the binary code from PC to hardware. If you could explain...it is great...

Regards
NVP

pisoiu said:
Hi,
The experience is huge, as well as the number of materials presented at elektroda, about this subject. Search at e-books download. If you need opinions, you'll have to be more specific. What is your project, what you are trying to realise?

The 51 is now a well established product That means that there is no ABSOLUTE best assambler or C compiler .. Though Keil has emerged like some kind of standard . The 51 is the Cousin .. of the world's first MICROCONTROLLER , the i8031 .. The original core is OLD and slow by today's standarts .. But this appeciation only depends of your current NEEDS .. If your requeriments are few .Not computing intensive
any thing will do .. Ther are 51's today running at 100 mhz and other are SOC ..like triscend's .. It depends of your requirements ..Do you need a standard 51 .Is it for a PROJECT?, or as programing vehicule ? .. Anyways you'll be safe if you go with the KEIL enviroment and on the CPU side .. Cygnal products are well notecing

I think Keil C is good compiler for c language of 8051.

there is one compiler exist
this name C51
if you want to have this , send PM .
i can upload this software.

My experience with 8051 has been excellent. It is a very stable, widely used microcontroller and has been accepted by industry since more than 15 years. New 8051's can run upto 40MHz, so speed is no more a issue with these controllers. New high speed (6 clock) versions are available from Philips and Cygnal.
There are many freeware tools available for this family. Try www.pjrc.com for some cool 8051 projects and development boards with number one open source monitor program called "Paulmon".

Also try this site for more tools on 8051. **broken link removed**

We have done over 300 projects with the 8051 and have wealth of information and tools for this. Most of these projects were completed in the 90's.

However, we are NOT using the 8051 core for any NEW design anymore. The main reason for using 8051 in the past that it was at the right price for the right functionality. Now, you can get an ARM7 core with more on chip memory (Philips, Atmel, Oki to name a few) than the 8051. Even the soc available with the 8051 core still have to deal with the 64 kB code barrier (sure there are bank switching codes available but that is a bad fix for a problem which can be solved by using a better chip!!).

If you still want to use the 8051 core, please look at the uPSD chips from ST Microelectronics which come with 256 kB flash, 32 kB RAM and 2 serial ports. Nice design.

About the compilers, I believe the Keil is the best (we have tried plenty of them) but when it comes to 8051, frankly coding in assembly works the best since you are always limited with memory (unless you are doing a small project, in which case, I would strongly recommend the Microchips!!).

Ajay

Ajay said:
We have done over 300 projects with the 8051 and have wealth of information and tools for this. Most of these projects were completed in the 90's.

However, we are NOT using the 8051 core for any NEW design anymore. The main reason for using 8051 in the past that it was at the right price for the right functionality. Now, you can get an ARM7 core with more on chip memory (Philips, Atmel, Oki to name a few) than the 8051. Even the soc available with the 8051 core still have to deal with the 64 kB code barrier (sure there are bank switching codes available but that is a bad fix for a problem which can be solved by using a better chip!!).

If you still want to use the 8051 core, please look at the uPSD chips from ST Microelectronics which come with 256 kB flash, 32 kB RAM and 2 serial ports. Nice design.

About the compilers, I believe the ke*il is the best (we have tried plenty of them) but when it comes to 8051, frankly coding in assembly works the best since you are always limited with memory (unless you are doing a small project, in which case, I would strongly recommend the Microchips!!).

Ajay

Hi Ajay,

It is really nice to see your suggestion. As per my opinion, ARM and its family for high end application. My application is very small. Thatz why I preferred 8051. Off course, as you said, It is well established.

Regards
NVP

NVP, if your application is small, consider the Microchip solutions. Very cheap (less than $1 for some chips!!) and have the right tools for small code. When the code size starts increasing, the debugging tools available on 8051 are simply too good. Look at Nohau emulators, simply great!

Ajay

Hello,

If you want to try arm 7, there is an excellent evaluation board with color display, ram card reader, sound card, etc.. it is called 'game boy advance' ;)

You can use gcc or assembly on it.

www.gbadev.org

www.devrs.com/gba

and a lot more...

Ajay said:
NVP, if your application is small, consider the Microchip solutions. Very cheap (less than $1 for some chips!!) and have the right tools for small code. When the code size starts increasing, the debugging tools available on 8051 are simply too good. Look at Nohau emulators, simply great!

Ajay

Hello Ajay,

I agree with you, But in our palce getting the micro chip IC is bit difficult. But I am getting 8051 with out any problem. Also 8051 is one of the good micro-controller. I will do this project in 8051. Later I go for micro-chip.

It is really great help from you....

Regards
NVP.

What do you want to know? Please show me some questions in detail.Maybe I can do your a favor.

Keil C is best tools for 51 MPU.
Try it!

I used a copy of the Keil eval compiler. Although it was a pretty user friendly tool, I was turned off by the fact that their free version automatically set my code offset to 4000H. Since I was programming an AT89C2051, this put me outside of the internal memory boundary. I wasn't to happy about that. I turned to the Raisonance RIDE 51 eval package and found it to be just as nice as the Keil offering. I ended up purchasing The Ride51 IDE. I have been quite happy with it ever since.

Those who are evaluating Keil, watch out for this snag!

Hello
I think that SDCC is very good program to compile C for 8051. And it is Free. Also try this:
**broken link removed** microcontrollers/index.htm

nvp said:
Ajay said:

Ajay

Hello Ajay,

I agree with you, But in our palce getting the micro chip IC is bit difficult. But I am getting 8051 with out any problem. Also 8051 is one of the good micro-controller. I will do this project in 8051. Later I go for micro-chip.

It is really great help from you....

Regards
NVP.
If you have access to Atmel AVR, you should also consider this MCU, they are sligthly cheaper than PIC and more powerful.
Some of them are even pin for pin compatible with 8051 except that the reset pin is inverted.
TI MSP430 could also be an optin, but they don't make small 8 pin devices like AVR and PIC and can't run at 5 V.

mgajo said:
Hi

Take a look at

www.wickenhaeuser.com

c51 8k FREE :)

ever tried to compile these 8kB? I did it and it took several minutes for that job. I've never seen a slower compiler.

Mik

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back