Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Please help me to choose a right DSP for my project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

belax

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I am at the beginning of developing a small device which should decode a stream video (with audio) in MPEG2/4 (with resolution up to 1920x1080/ 30 fps) from Ethernet-local-network and display it on big Plasmas or LCDs.

Right now I would like to asses the possibility of developing such device and find the easiest (relatively) way for a small company (less than 10 workers) to do it, which can not allow to buy 10’th thousands of chips a year and pay 20k+ dollars for video codecs.

Looking through the Internet I stopped on few DSPs.
1) ADSP-BF561.
2) Nexperia. PNX 1501.
3) Digital Media processors from TI - TMS320DM64xx.

Concerning Blackfin, I want to ask, if it is possible to do this job on this DSP by means of ucLinux and free MPlayer?

About TI, I looked through TI web site and found that they provide free image libraries (IMGLIB), which can help a lot of developing MPEG decoding device. But I want to ask people, who worked with this DSP, what I should be aware of starting this project on this DSP?

Also, I found such chips like STI-7101 and BCM-7402 (especially made for stream video decoding), but the information about these chips closed.
Are there any free-documented chips for MPEG2/4 HD-video decoding?

Want to say that I am the beginner in video/audio application and need help very much.

Thank you

The Digital Media processors from TI - TMS320DM64xx is the best option currently available for Video Processing. Decent support is available from TI

So, in other words you are saying that it is just enough to buy chip (and other necessary chips) and all other documents will be available without NDA. Am I right?

belax said:
So, in other words you are saying that it is just enough to buy chip (and other necessary chips) and all other documents will be available without NDA. Am I right?

If you want to access technical documents like full datasheet of these products then you have to sign NDA. There are good opensource communities available for technical support of TI products.

Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.