Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] please help me regarding EEPROM(ATMEIL24c04

Status
Not open for further replies.

nageswar sita

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
--- Sir in my project iam using EEPROM(atmel 24c04 ) 4 Kbits memory in this eeprom memory is divided in to 32pages each page contain 16bytes of memory as per manual here i want to know how many ways we can use this eeprom for storage of value(binary and ascii)
--- the doubt is i am storing one binary value in one location let say 0x0001 and ascii value in another location 0x0010
for storing binary value in 1 byte of location i.e it will store value from 0-255,after 255 it will become 0 what i understand for decimal to bcd converted value storing in eeprom, what about the storage of assci value when we try to store in eeprom in 1 byte memory if suppose we take 28 as decimal value can u please explain sir:???:

I'm somewhat confused as to what you are trying to ask.

For a byte of memory in your eeprom you can store 0-255 decimal as a binary number 0000_0000-1111_1111.
If you store ASCII then you will be storing values from the following table.
https://www.asciitable.com/

So if you store 28 decimal in your eeprom:
binary: 0001_1100
ASCII: 0011_0010 (2), 0011_1000 (8) (two bytes are required, as we are storing a character representation of the value)

I'm somewhat confused as to what you are trying to ask.

For a byte of memory in your eeprom you can store 0-255 decimal as a binary number 0000_0000-1111_1111.

So if you store 28 decimal in your eeprom:
ASCII: 0011_0010 (2), 0011_1000 (8) (two bytes are required, as we are storing a character representation of the value)

***************************************************************************************************
My questions is
>>>if the value is 256 to be stored in eeprom is this value 256 is updated in next byte in eeprom or the value of 256 is zero

o if you store 28 decimal in your eeprom:

My question is
before storing the asscii value in eeprom is their any BCD conversion is done internally or store the ascii value is directly store in eeprom

>>>if the value is 256 to be stored in eeprom is this value 256 is updated in next byte in eeprom or the value of 256 is zero
you can only store binary numbers 0 thru 255 in one byte. How you store 256 would be up to the eeprom interface. Does it support 16-bit values? Does it store the values little or big endian?

My question is
before storing the asscii value in eeprom is their any BCD conversion is done internally or store the ascii value is directly store in eeprom
That is up to the designer of the eeprom interface. Either way is valid, it's more a matter of which is easier for the SW or HW that communicates with the eeprom to deal with. From a purely sw perspective where the end user (human) is going to want to read the data from the eeprom then ASCII is probably better. If only the SW or HW is looking at the data it may be better to use binary representation. Binary might also be a better choice when there isn't enough eeprom storage to handle the overhead of ASCII and efficient space utilization becomes paramount.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back