Not open for further replies.

danriis

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,
So I decided to fix my LG Flatron monitor and pulled the power+inverter combo board out.
The picture shows a normal board. Notice the blue component circled in Red, well that component is completely burned up on my board so I need to replace it. But how do I find a match? (I think it may be called a ceramic disc capacitor ???)
Since the burned component is identical to the one next to it, I figured the local electronics store could match it. However, I was instead told that there wasn't enough information written on the other ones to find a match.... huh?

Here is what it says on the other, identical, ones :
.1Y
S1 6KV 5D

The first line is hard to read, could be a dot could be a dash, then 1 or I and then probably the micro farad sign. I am pretty certain about the characters on the second line.
From looking at pictures this may be a ceramic disc capacitor, yes?
I hope someone out there can interpret the letters and numbers above and tell me what I need to tell the guy a the store to get the right part. See picture below.

THx soooooooo much in advance !

Dan

At a guess I would say that it is a 0.1uf ceramic capacitor with a rated voltage of 6.3 kilo volts.

Reactions: qayyoum

qayyoum

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I just tried selecting those two criteria (6.3kv and 0.1uf) at mouser.com and at digikey.com and didn't get a single match, why would that be?

0.1uf 5% 6.3Kv disc ceramic capacitor used for the back light of the LCD monitor. If you have access to a capacitance meter I would measure one of the identical ones out of circuit to confirm the capacitance, but the 6.3Kv 5% bit I am confident is correct.

Last edited:

Thanks very much. I took it to a guy with a capacitance meter and it came out 5 Pico Farad. Unfortunately those are impossible to buy unless you get 2000 of them and wait 10 weeks for factory lead time. So I am buying a cheap LG board on Ebay which looks like it has similar components... for $15 it's worth the chance I guess.

I doubt very much that it is a 5pF capacitor, you could make a 5pF capacitor at 6.3Kv by simply twisting a length of enameled wire together. Are you sure that you measured a good device correctly and not the burnt out one? If the device is not a capacitor it could be a voltage suppression device that goes sort circuit when the voltage across it goes to high (and then burns up).

hi
dear danriis ithink the pjmelect first reply is good answer

I removed a good one from another place on the same board and had it measured by a guy at the local electronics place.
He also mentioned that it may not be a capacitor at all, but also gave no suggestions as to how to find out.
In the mean time I went online and found a 5pf capacitor that is made only for inverter boards. It has the 5% and the 6.3Kv as well. It also looks the part. All these things combined makes me believe that it is the right part, here is the Murata part number: DEF2CLH050DA3B.
I have attached the data sheet, it is a PDF file, take a look.

Now, given that I cannot buy it anyway since it requires massive quantity and factory lead time, and the fact that there is still a chance that it's not the right part, I still figure I am better off finding an identical part on another used LG inverter board and pulling one from there.

Thoughts?

Thanks so much for your help,
Dan

Attachments

• murata inverter capacitor.pdf
    39.9 KB · Views: 118

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…