Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Please Help Identify this (capacitor???) Component

Status
Not open for further replies.

danriis

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,
So I decided to fix my LG Flatron monitor and pulled the power+inverter combo board out.
The picture shows a normal board. Notice the blue component circled in Red, well that component is completely burned up on my board so I need to replace it. But how do I find a match? (I think it may be called a ceramic disc capacitor ???)
Since the burned component is identical to the one next to it, I figured the local electronics store could match it. However, I was instead told that there wasn't enough information written on the other ones to find a match.... huh?

Here is what it says on the other, identical, ones :
.1Y
S1 6KV 5D

The first line is hard to read, could be a dot could be a dash, then 1 or I and then probably the micro farad sign. I am pretty certain about the characters on the second line.
From looking at pictures this may be a ceramic disc capacitor, yes?
I hope someone out there can interpret the letters and numbers above and tell me what I need to tell the guy a the store to get the right part. See picture below.

THx soooooooo much in advance !

Dan

EAY60724304.jpg

At a guess I would say that it is a 0.1uf ceramic capacitor with a rated voltage of 6.3 kilo volts.

Reactions: qayyoum

qayyoum

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I just tried selecting those two criteria (6.3kv and 0.1uf) at mouser.com and at digikey.com and didn't get a single match, why would that be?

0.1uf 5% 6.3Kv disc ceramic capacitor used for the back light of the LCD monitor. If you have access to a capacitance meter I would measure one of the identical ones out of circuit to confirm the capacitance, but the 6.3Kv 5% bit I am confident is correct.

Last edited:

Thanks very much. I took it to a guy with a capacitance meter and it came out 5 Pico Farad. Unfortunately those are impossible to buy unless you get 2000 of them and wait 10 weeks for factory lead time. So I am buying a cheap LG board on Ebay which looks like it has similar components... for $15 it's worth the chance I guess.

I doubt very much that it is a 5pF capacitor, you could make a 5pF capacitor at 6.3Kv by simply twisting a length of enameled wire together. Are you sure that you measured a good device correctly and not the burnt out one? If the device is not a capacitor it could be a voltage suppression device that goes sort circuit when the voltage across it goes to high (and then burns up).

hi
dear danriis ithink the pjmelect first reply is good answer

I removed a good one from another place on the same board and had it measured by a guy at the local electronics place.
He also mentioned that it may not be a capacitor at all, but also gave no suggestions as to how to find out.
In the mean time I went online and found a 5pf capacitor that is made only for inverter boards. It has the 5% and the 6.3Kv as well. It also looks the part. All these things combined makes me believe that it is the right part, here is the Murata part number: DEF2CLH050DA3B.
I have attached the data sheet, it is a PDF file, take a look.

Now, given that I cannot buy it anyway since it requires massive quantity and factory lead time, and the fact that there is still a chance that it's not the right part, I still figure I am better off finding an identical part on another used LG inverter board and pulling one from there.

Thoughts?

Thanks so much for your help,
Dan

Attachments

• murata inverter capacitor.pdf
    39.9 KB · Views: 112

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back