Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

please help Identify part

Status
Not open for further replies.

wizpic

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Does anyone know what this part is TDK7021 I think it's some sort of fuse not sure of rating google'd but nothing is showing on TDK7021

Attachments

• TDK.JPG
    TDK.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 65

It looks like an old TDK disk capacitor.

Try determining . Unless you have an LCR meter to check it.

Or maybe it's one of

Reactions: wizpic

wizpic

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
judging by the heavy leads on the side of the ceramic radial disc, it must be a metal oxide protection device PTC or NTC or MOV
probably obsolete in favour of SMT parts

Reactions: wizpic

wizpic

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks Guy's
Following the tracks on the PCB there is a MR851 diode across the +&- and the TDK thing is in line of the + side, It's an old fluke 620 cable tester that runs off to 1.5V batteries, now knowing a little more what it is its there method of protecting against if the batteries where inserted wrong just need to find the blow current or if it limits the current

Are you trying fix it or reverse engineer it? The Fluke 620 measures Return echo pulse time and displays cable length based on cable type, usually 2/3c

I've sort of copied the way they step up the voltage from 2x1.5v batteries. To start with I never thought about adding protection against inserting the batteries wrong way round. I know there others ways if stepping up the voltage but this was a simple way. I've removed the parts from the meter and built it up and tested it works perfect in my application but still need to find the correct part as I will need to build another 30 or more units. Looking at the website there are ptc/ntc current limiters and ptc over current limiters. The diode is rated at 3amps so my guess is that it limits the current at very small amount of amps trolling there data sheets/products

its looks like a typical metal oxide varistor used for surge protection in power supply circuits
please Google image search "varistors" for more info

Last edited:

its looks like a typical metal oxide varistor
"looks like" doesn't mean it is. wizpic did already find out that the device is series connected to the power supply. You can only say it's a varistor if you ignore the previous posts.

According to the circuit function it must be a PTC fuse. If you don't locate a specification by type number, you should measure the trip current with a lab supply. Or select a suitable PTC or regular fuse according to maximum instrument current demand.

It should be obvious what it is for many reasons.

1) its leads obviously are too large for surge protectors or capactors.

2) Tracing PC board copper traces would have made it obvious what it was or what its function is. Those thicker leads suggest #3 probably identified it.

3) TDK is a manufacturer of inrush current limiters. That is similar in appearance to current limiters. It exists because electronics better prefer low voltages when starting (despite so many ill edicuated techs who say otherwise). But to say more means one must identy the circuit - what connects to what.

The board is a 4layer pcb but manged to trace the track so it is in line of the plus I will be taking it out to carry that test out with pus as the diode is preventing anything happing with it will let you know the out comes
Thanks for all the replies

You can measure the cold resistance and order from this list. The part numbers have changed since TDK processes the Epcos products now.

**broken link removed**

They need at least 3/4 watt to trip when they reach 80'C, but you wont find that anywhere in the specs., just my experience.

Can you do a trace of the PCB connections. Is the component connected across AC power. If yes it is an MOV. What is the track width of track connected to the component ?

Google for TDK 7021 instead of TDK7021 and it shows some Capacitors with 7021.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back