Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

please answer a p-n type question because i have exam next week !

Status
Not open for further replies.

rabso

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
why arsenic and gallium become a full compound and silicon and boron have a hole ?

Kindly tell me about the number of electrons in the valence shell of aresnic,gallium,silicon and boron, then I will answer your question

Kindly tell me about the number of electrons in the valence shell of aresnic,gallium,silicon and boron, then I will answer your question

arsenic = 5, gallium = 3, silicon = 4, boron = 3.

To become a compound, each element needs to have eight electrons in its valence shell. Now if arsenic reacts with an element whose valence shell contains three electrons then 5+3=8, it will become a compound same is the case with any other element e.g.

gallium=3, other element=5 (it will become a compound)
silicon=4, other element=4 (it will become a compound)
boron=3, other element=5 (it will become a compound)

However if arsenic combines with an element that has 4 electrons in its valence shell, we will be left with an extra electron (5+4=9) and if it reacts with an element that has 2 electrons in its valence shell in that case we will have deficiency of one electron called a hole (5+2=7), get it?

Other elements will behave the same way

So when aresenic and gallium combine (5+3=8) it becomes a full compound but when silicon and boron combine (4+3=7) there is still vacancy for one more electron called a hole

To become a compound, each element needs to have eight electrons in its valence shell. Now if arsenic reacts with an element whose valence shell contains three electrons then 5+3=8, it will become a compound same is the case with any other element e.g.

gallium=3, other element=5 (it will become a compound)
silicon=4, other element=4 (it will become a compound)
boron=3, other element=5 (it will become a compound)

However if arsenic combines with an element that has 4 electrons in its valence shell, we will be left with an extra electron (5+4=9) and if it reacts with an element that has 2 electrons in its valence shell in that case we will have deficiency of one electron called a hole (5+2=7), get it?

Other elements will behave the same way

So when aresenic and gallium combine (5+3=8) it becomes a full compound but when silicon and boron combine (4+3=7) there is still vacancy for one more electron called a hole

i totally get it and i don`t know how to thank you :) *** bless you

You are welcome :)...and if you wanna thank someone on the forums you can give them points...its that little button at the bottom of the posts :)...cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back