Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

plc or microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.

welove8051

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
build your own plc

hi guys, i am working on micro controllers for three years. i create lots of projects in MC for students. some of the students asking me to do project in PLC. i see no different between MC and PLC. a PLC functions same as micro controller. then what is the basic different these two. where can we prefer plc than MC and vice versa.
what is adv and dis adv between these two.

looking forward for the replies

regards
kj

microcontroller vs. plc

Hello! "Naked" microcontroller is needed in some external devices and necessities like power supply, protected I/O, PCB and etc. You also have to write some code from low level to high level.
PLC includes most of the said. You just take it and connect with your equipment then write program in SCADA, debug it adn... Done! It's working!
PLC also is safe and fault-tolerant. It means that some actions (noises, EMI)) don't harm your equipment. Of course you can do the same on the microcontroller! The price of both is significant.

microcontroller vs plc

In my opinion the PLC is just a microcontroller with extra peripherals and serious protection circuits, if you are aware of these peripherals design and how to protect your circuit, beside good knowledge of some interfaces like RS-232, RS-485, CAN, GPIB then you can build your own PLC, if you are good enough in programming then you can a GUI interface to convert a ladder diagram to a C or BASIC code suitable for the microcontroller to create a hex file.
some of the engineering stuff PLC used doesn't need a PLC at all.

plc vs microcontroller

elrayes said:
In my opinion the PLC is just a microcontroller with extra peripherals and serious protection circuits, if you are aware of these peripherals design and how to protect your circuit, beside good knowledge of some interfaces like RS-232, RS-485, CAN, GPIB then you can build your own PLC, if you are good enough in programming then you can a GUI interface to convert a ladder diagram to a C or BASIC code suitable for the microcontroller to create a hex file.
some of the engineering stuff PLC used doesn't need a PLC at all.
Partly agreed. PLC includes some microcontorller like AVR, ARM or CPU like i80xxx. But! PLC are done devices. I mean that a manufacturer did all by itself.

build plc using microcontroller

thanks for your replies

Status
Not open for further replies.