Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pinhole Camera Electronics Question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stampi

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Good day! I'd love some advice....

I bought a camera off EBay:

It’s listed as a “Mini DVR Camcorder Spy Pen Device Mainboard USB Flash

Now it is quite easy to use and the video quality isn’t half bad. But I’m considering a motion sensor.

I’ve did some research and KipKay has a site and a great video on hooking one of these cams up to a Motion Sensor Door Alarm. I’ve also did some online reading at Robotics and RC Plane sites that want to utilize this cam in their planes and stuff. So, I have gathered a little knowledge! Although I’ve heard “<u>a little knowledge can be dangerous!</u>” lol

Did a little shopping today and found this at the hardware store:
**broken link removed**
It’s a motion sensor closet light. You walk in the closet and CLICK on comes the light! It runs on 3-AAA batteries in series making it 4.5vdc. Which works nice as the camera works on 5vdc.

I took the closet light apart and found this:
**broken link removed**

Obviously the red and black wires are for the power. The white wires go to 3 LED’s.

How the light works:
1. You walk into the closet
2. The sensor detects movement and sends power to the light
3. A long as there is movement the power stays on
4. When the movement stops, the light goes out after 40 seconds

My question: Do you think I’d be able to disconnect the battery and the switch on the camera and solder in the white wires where the switch was? My theory is that the motion detector will trip with movement, then turn on the camera, using the 3-AAA batteries. When the movement ceases, the camera would shut off.

Any thoughts would be most appreciated!

Hi,

Well if you have a pc and a camera then you can use that to do the motion detecting.

Many camera programs have loads of features and functions, one being motion detection where you can select an area or areas of your cameras image and it will record when it dectect any movement in those areas.
Some even have output ports you can use to contrlol relays to activate light or motors.

Have a look at this link, one of many such sites
**broken link removed**

Stampi

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thank you WP100!

While that Guardian looks like a great tool, it won't work in this application. I park my car in a parking garage and it's been busted into twice! This unit needs to be portable with it's own power supply so it can be mounted into my car.

I'm thinking I should be able to wire the sensor (white wires) into where the battery was and jumper the micro-switch since I'm using the sensor for switching and power.

Thanks again WP100!

Hi,

Right I see what you are trying to do now.

The two white wires that go to the leds could be configured in two ways, first with one wire to negative and the other switching positive, or one wire to positive and the other switching negative - so you need to establish that first otherwise if you connect the camera the wrong way round you could blow it.

To avoid doing that fit in series a 1n4001 or similar type of diode on the cameras positive power lead so if you do connect it the wrong way round it will not blow the camera.

Assume they are only nicking stuff from your car ?

There must be something they are targeting you car for so the best thing is remove all obvious stuff including the radio /cd front if you have one fitted.

Also, neatly fit a flashing led to a blank control switch fitting so it looks like you have a good alarm fitted.

Happens to us all at some time, disconcerting I know, but they will move on if you remove the temptation.

Stampi

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thank you for sticking with me on this WP100!
I appreciate your advice on how to wire it up!

They've busted into my car twice now. I'm thinking it's probably the kids in the building as all that get stolen is the change out of my console and CD's. Couple others have made the same complaint so I'm gonna try the 'bait and catch'!

Wish me luck!

Thanks again for the help!

I think your idea is very good! and i dont see why it would not work.
although giving directions is impossible since i dont have either the cam or the sensor with me..
All the best and post ur updates!

The sensor is a standard PIR so it senses changes in radiated heat which may come from moving bodies nearby.

If you use it to switch in the USB camera you might have several problems though. The first is powering the camcorder. Using the existing ex-led supply may not work as the voltage, current and rise times may not be adequate. The second problem is starting the recording as it probably won't start as soon as the power is applied. Consider also that when the IR level stabilizes (nobody is around) the power could switch off without warning and the USB recording could be corrupted and unrecoverable.

I would suggest using a 5V regulator to permanently power the camcorder and an opto-coupler from the sensor output to convert it's output voltage to a logic level suitable to trigger the recording process.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back