Status
Not open for further replies.

tobman

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I've got lab assignment of the above topic, i hav got little knowledge of the things involved. Can someone please guide me through, so i know where to start from. Thanks

One important advice when you are using a microcontroller/fpga to control a dc motor is DO NOT CONNECT THE MOTOR DIRECTLY TO THE MICROCONTROLLER/FPGA. You need to generate PWM signals using the microcontroller. Higher the duty cycle of the PWM signal, the faster the motor turns.

Use some kind of buffer/isolation. If you have to control the direction of the dc motor also, then you need to use a H-bridge L298.

When you are using feedback(PID controller) to control the position of a dc motor. You need to figure out whether just proportional controller is enough to control the position of dc motor or not. Rather than using all the proportional/integrator/derivative control parameters. In order to determine these constants, you need to do a lot of trials.

Hope this helped.

Last edited:
Reactions: tobman

tobman

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks for your reply. What i am doing is controlling the speed of the dc motor using a microcontroller and using a PID controller for stability of the system and to eliminate error. My problem is, i have never used or built a pid controller before. I understand the uC will generate the pwm signal but i dont understand where the PID will fit in and also where the uC will fit in as well. i would be glad if u can help me with that.Thanks

Refer these

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…