Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PICkit3 or PICKIT 3 Compatible ? need help...before buying..

Status
Not open for further replies.

asking

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have searched ebay i found there are 2 types of pickit3 one is original microchip PICKIT3 and other is PICKIT 3 Compatible both have same features...this PICKIT 3 is 60% cheaper and its copy or clone of pickit3 and also works...with MPLAB IDE.... so can anyone suggest me anyone has idea ? is it ok to go with clone... ? because i m using universal programmer and it programs any ic...with no problems... but this is my first ICSP device...so need help..

Here's link

https://www.fasttech.com/products/1006/10000018/1002100-pickit-3-compatible-programmerdebugger

I have a pickit 3 original in my house and a pickit 2 clone (acquired after) for use at work.
Some pics programmed with the pickit 2 clone, do not work anymore (just going to waste).
The same pics programmed in the pickit 3 can be programmed anytime. If its before programmed.
This happens with pics that need to be fed by pickit 2 clone.
The Pickit 3 works perfectly. Although for debugg, they need some accessories for older pics.

Hi,

Sure Electronics, who I have bought stuff from, also do a PK3 clone and also a Microchip Pk3 (?).
https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=&_osacat=0&_ssn=sureelectronics&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313&_nkw=pickit&_sacat=0&_from=R40

If you buy a Microchip one from a main dealer in your country they normally replace them very quicky if a fault develops.
With a clone it usually means a long wait to return it to China.

The choice is down to you really - though as you say you have a good universal programmer, if you get a clone all is not lost if it stops working.

Status
Not open for further replies.