Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PICkit 2 VPP voltage error... help :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Villevissen

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
vpp voltage error

Hey, im using the PICkit but have encountered a problem, when ever i try to open the PICkit 2 software i get the message "PICkit 2 VPP voltage error". At first i thought that it was my PIC that had gotten a static shock so i bought new ones but im still getting the same message, is it my programmer that somehow have broken down? And its the same in MPLAB, claims there to be an VPP voltage error :(. I have changed USB ports, reinstalled vista (tho i didnt reinstall it due to this problem) but anyhow im all out of ideas so i really hope anyone of you might know what to do :)

pickit2 vpp

ah :) hmm dont have a multimeter but the troubleshooter says there is a short or very heavy load but i really dunno whats causing that :S im using the demoboard that came with the PICkit 2 programmer so there shouldnt be any shorts ^^ hmm tho when i plug the demo board out n test the VPP it says everythings fine.

pickit2 vpp error

Are you using PICKit2 for the first time ?
I get these problems when pins are not connected properly or there is any kind of shorting between two pins that will be used for programming !!
Also I hope you are not tieing the MCLR pin to Vcc while programming !

Regards

AJ

vpp voltage

It have worked fine before. n as i said before im using the demo board that came with it, hmm might try to make a new one :) and the MCLR pin shouldnt be connected to the Vcc ^^

pickit2 vpp voltage error

Villevissen said:
ah :) hmm dont have a multimeter but the troubleshooter says there is a short or very heavy load but i really dunno whats causing that :S im using the demoboard that came with the PICkit 2 programmer so there shouldnt be any shorts ^^ hmm tho when i plug the demo board out n test the VPP it says everythings fine.
A DMM costs just under $.5/-. If you are a student, perhaps you can use it anywhere.

pickit 2 no device detected

funnynypd said:
I bought one for about US$2, never see one for 50Cents (US$).
Oh, I also meant $5/- generally we use a "." after the currency mark "Rs.250/-" would amount to approx$5/-
it was taken as a decimal and you might have supposed $0.5

pickit 2 voltage error

I've done some further testing now, i made a new "demo board" from one of those labboards hehe anyway now i know the Vpp aint short but it still claims it is. i tried to pull out the Vpp but then it says "No device detected". So is it just to throw the programmer out da window? oh if so what programmer would you guys recommend? :) want a cheap one ;)

pickit 2 vpp error

Villevissen said:
I've done some further testing now, i made a new "demo board" from one of those labboards hehe anyway now i know the Vpp aint short but it still claims it is. i tried to pull out the Vpp but then it says "No device detected". So is it just to throw the programmer out da window? oh if so what programmer would you guys recommend? :) want a cheap one ;)

Is it working with winXP or on some other PC/laptop?
While curiosity kills a cat, impatience perhaps kills a man's design. we cant throw out each and every thing that poses a problem. If PICKIT2 ( i suppose Microchip's) did not work for you, what ever you make might behave the same way. Nonworking situation is a given opportunity to learn and become more skilled and analytical.

as Bill rightly suggested, have proper testing tools so that you can approach logically.

pickit 2 vpp

hmm good idea :) gonna go down to my mate and test it :) oh and ill look up what the MM will cost :)

pickit2 voltage error

Villevissen said:
hmm good idea :) gonna go down to my mate and test it :) oh and ill look up what the MM will cost :)
DMM based tests, can be done in the lab also using its facilities. not that you need to spend for it.

BTW, why not try to run it without connecting to any external device, whether the same message comes? then whether your USB socket is giving out too low a voltage like 4.5V or 3.3V?

pickit2 programmer vpp error

I've tried to not connect anything to the programmer and then test it, works fine but when i connect the Vpp it says that its a voltage error again. Oh and i was down in my mates room and tested... same problem there :(

error pickit 2 low vpp detected vpp

Villevissen said:
I've tried to not connect anything to the programmer and then test it, works fine but when i connect the Vpp it says that its a voltage error again. Oh and i was down in my mates room and tested... same problem there :(

Now see whether the pins of the Pickit2 are connected properly to the pins of the target. I know of one Microchip board where the target pins have numbering mis-printed as per Microchip forum.
Don't reverse the connector immediately, but check whether really pins 1 to 6 represent the same as per your board by physical observation of components.

Finally talk to local microchip support and it is known that they would help you out to restore your Microchip- forbid the high courier charges to and fro on you head, though.

pickit2 target voltage

Yeh the pins are correct, goes where they're supposed to :) Gonna open a ticket on microchips support site :)

Most probably you are using bs250 mosfets... Kinda problematic but i still don't know why..

Status
Not open for further replies.