Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC18F2550 and problem with VDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

georgz

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, i'm using this uC and i'm dealing with a strange problem... I'm building a led globe and it's working great, i'm using 2 contacts for the VDD(5V) and VSS(GND) on a disk made of PCB. So there are wires which make the contacts on the disks' rails and my problem is that for a moment there must be a disconnection between the contacts and my uC does not restart itself. I must turn the power off and the on to start working again. There is a resistor on the MCLR pin. What might cause this problem??

Hi, i'm using this uC and i'm dealing with a strange problem... I'm building a led globe and it's working great, i'm using 2 contacts for the VDD(5V) and VSS(GND) on a disk made of PCB. So there are wires which make the contacts on the disks' rails and my problem is that for a moment there must be a disconnection between the contacts and my uC does not restart itself. I must turn the power off and the on to start working again. There is a resistor on the MCLR pin. What might cause this problem??

Hi,

Your pcb disc contacts are always going to be electrically 'dirty', paricularly for a high speed micro needing a good supply

Lots of things could be done, but to keep it simple first try these two things

Put a large, 1000 or 2200 uf electrolytic cap across VDD and VSS so it holds the voltages for longer.

Fit a 100nf between Mclre and 0v, with the Pull up resistor of 10k, this should help Reset the Pic when power is restored.

If that fails perhaps try a rechargeable 4.5v battery connected to Vdd and the power source just feeding the batterys charger.

Reactions: georgz

georgz

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.