Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC16F628A Eeprom Write without Erasing Flash Code

Status
Not open for further replies.

mystery

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,
I want to write (modify) the eeprom of the PIC16F628A which is code protected. All of the programmers first of all sends the "bulk erase" & erase all locked flash content then updates the eeprom contents. Is there a way to update the eeprom contents without erasing locked flash content.

Thanks all,

Eeprom would allow user to write to its memory without erasing. You might want to refer to the datasheet from Microchip(Pg 17 of 22).

Setting Bit 13 of your Register 3-1 allows you to unprotect the code protection, then you could write to the eeprom as per normal.

mystery

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks for your interest.
Do you know any programmer which do this. Or do I have to implement it myself?

You can not reprogram the eeprom data with the CP turn on without erasing everything. This is taken right from the spec sheet page 91.

"When the device is code-protected, the CPU can
continue to read and write the data EEPROM memory. A
device programmer can no longer access this memory."

mystery

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.