Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[PIC] PIC12F1840 PWM datasheet unclear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alloy

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hey
How many PWMs outputs does this chip have?
I need to generate one square signal at variable duty with 10-100Hz or so and second signal at 50% Duty at 5-15kHz.
The datasheet says:
P1B — CMOS PWM output.
P1A — CMOS PWM output
does it means that I have two pins and two separate PWMs?
Or how to understand that?
Thanks in advance

I believe the datasheet is pretty clear. There's one PWM module with two outputs, intended particularly for half bridge control. It's not possible to use different pwm periods or duty cycles.

100 Hz pwm is pretty slow. I suggest a software implementation.

So you say it's good to use a PWM for that 15kHz (or so) and software (TIMER2?) for 100Hz?

That would be my first guess. But the best solution depends on accuracy and duty cycle resolution requirements, also availability of timer resources in the design.

I also presume that 100 Hz is below feasible hardware PWM period range, unless you are using a very slow CPU clock.

Status
Not open for further replies.