Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC programmer for PIC 16F877A

Status
Not open for further replies.

Instant

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hey, is "USB ICSP PIC Programmer V2010" can be used to download program to PIC 16F877A?
I mean this "http://www.cytron.com.my/viewProduct.php?pcode=UIC00B&name=USB%20ICSP%20PIC%20Programmer%20V2010".
What is the cons?

It looks like it's a cloned Pickit2 so yes it will program your 16F877A but check the price, is it any cheaper than a real Pickit2 or Pickit3 from Microchip?

Brian.

Hi,

Also it seems that there are no memory chips on that board , unless its has components on both sides, so you will not be able to use the Programmer to Go function should you ever need it.
Basically that allows you to load a program into the PK2 , remove it from the PC, then take the PK2 to wherever the target device is and download the program straight from the Pk2, no PC needed. - handy if thats something you need to do regularly.

It looks like it's a cloned Pickit2 so yes it will program your 16F877A but check the price, is it any cheaper than a real Pickit2 or Pickit3 from Microchip?

Brian.

I just checked the price for Pickit2 from Microchip, and this is much more expensive compared to USB ICSP PIC Programmer V2010. Thanks for your information.
By the way, what is the different between Pickit2 and Pickit3?

---------- Post added at 16:26 ---------- Previous post was at 16:25 ----------

Hi,

Also it seems that there are no memory chips on that board , unless its has components on both sides, so you will not be able to use the Programmer to Go function should you ever need it.
Basically that allows you to load a program into the PK2 , remove it from the PC, then take the PK2 to wherever the target device is and download the program straight from the Pk2, no PC needed. - handy if thats something you need to do regularly.

May i know what is the function of the memory chip on that board? Is the memory is used for "load a program into the PK2 , remove it from the PC, then take the PK2 to wherever the target device is and download the program straight from the Pk2"?

---------- Post added at 16:29 ---------- Previous post was at 16:26 ----------

I plan to buy SK40C - Enhanced 40 pins PIC Start-Up Kit as well to hold the PIC.

Do this PIC start-up kit has any other function? I am new to PIC.

Hi,

You will often find Microchip units recommended over third party clones as some of them had a poor reputation in the earlier days.

However those units you show do look good and value for the money.

Have looked at the videos etc and still seems there are no eeprom chips that would allow the Programmer To Go fuction which is as you described , though if it is something you think you will need email them to find out, though for most hoobyists is not an essential feature.

I would also order a standard 2x16 lcd ( not the serial one , imho) and the chip of your choice the 16F877A is a popular choice for many web base project.

What you might want to do is make up a dil header so you can plug in the chips with less pins into that 40 pin socket.
Many web tutorials and projects use the smaller chip though there code can easily run in the 877A with minor mods.

What are you going to program in Assembler, C ??

The PK3 is the very latest unit, but the Pk2 will do you for many years I'm sure.

Hi,

You will often find Microchip units recommended over third party clones as some of them had a poor reputation in the earlier days.

However those units you show do look good and value for the money.

Have looked at the videos etc and still seems there are no eeprom chips that would allow the Programmer To Go fuction which is as you described , though if it is something you think you will need email them to find out, though for most hoobyists is not an essential feature.

I would also order a standard 2x16 lcd ( not the serial one , imho) and the chip of your choice the 16F877A is a popular choice for many web base project.

What you might want to do is make up a dil header so you can plug in the chips with less pins into that 40 pin socket.
Many web tutorials and projects use the smaller chip though there code can easily run in the 877A with minor mods.

What are you going to program in Assembler, C ??

The PK3 is the very latest unit, but the Pk2 will do you for many years I'm sure.

I will use C-programming by PIC-C Compiler to program it. Any suggestion?

Hi,

Those two Cryton boards seem ok and at the price look good value, so I'd say give them a go.
The only other realistic option would be genuine Microchip parts - good but comparitively expensive.

As for versions of C, Betwixt is the man to advise on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.