Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PGC and PGD pins on PIC32MX250F128B-50I/SP

Status
Not open for further replies.

erumas

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all,

I am experienced software developer but am new to embedded programming. I have just purchased a Pickit 4 and several of the pic32 mxxx family of microprocessors. Currently I am trying to flash a program onto a PIC32MX250F128B-50I/SP.

I'm following this setup documentation on step "3.2.2 Target Connection Circuitry" which instructs me to build the following circuit on a breadboard.

target_connection_circuitry.png

here is another circuit diagram post on the quick-start guide by Microchip that I have also referenced:
pic4.png

The issue I am unable to solve is, where to I find the programming clock pin (PGC) / (ICSPCLK) and the programming data pin (PGD)/ (ICSPDAT). When I consult the data sheet (page 5) for this processor I do not see those pins listed, at least with the same name. There are two clocks, OSC1/CLK and OSC2/CLK. There are also PGEC and PGED pins, but I'm not certain those would be the correct pins. How can I find instructions, or at least a rubric so I can understand what each of the "Full Pin Names" mean?

pic32mx1xx2xx.png

Thanks in advance!

Hello!

I am experienced software developer but am new to embedded programming.
Welcome to the geek club!

I suppose you have developed your own hardware? (otherwise it would be configured out of the box and
you wouldn't ask).
I have no experience with PIC, but at a first glance, I would bet PGEC and PGED are the correct ones.
OSC pins are oscillator (crystal) pins.

Now second glance, if you look at the documentation (you can search the PDF for "PGEC"), you will find
an explanation page 25 of what it does. It says it's the programming clock, so it's safe to assume that it's PGC.

That said, you might consider buying an evaluation board which will ensure that everything is configured
fine. Getting some experience in programming before developing your own hardware is probably better
than starting everything from scratch.

Dora

Like many 16-bit PIC, the device has multiple ICSP pin pairs. Any pair can be used for programming. The pair used for debugging is selected by a fuse setting. I'm sure that the required programmer connection is described verbosely in a dedicated data sheet chapter. Just read.

Hello!

Welcome to the geek club!

I suppose you have developed your own hardware? (otherwise it would be configured out of the box and
you wouldn't ask).
I have no experience with PIC, but at a first glance, I would bet PGEC and PGED are the correct ones.
OSC pins are oscillator (crystal) pins.

Now second glance, if you look at the documentation (you can search the PDF for "PGEC"), you will find
an explanation page 25 of what it does. It says it's the programming clock, so it's safe to assume that it's PGC.

That said, you might consider buying an evaluation board which will ensure that everything is configured
fine. Getting some experience in programming before developing your own hardware is probably better
than starting everything from scratch.

Dora
Thanks doraemon, you're right the description of the PGEC was in the docs, just have to find it. I also think you're right about buying an evaluation board.

Part of the information is in PIC32MX1XX/2XX family datasheet in paragraph 26 special features, the other part in PIC32 Flash Programming Spec.

Thanks for the help guys, I have tried for several days to flash a program to the pic32 without success. I am getting and error from MPLAB IDE "Failed to get Device ID" and from what I can tell it points to a failure in the hardware I have set up, it's failing communicating to the target device to be flashed.

I have ordered and evaluation board as I am unsure about how to correctly debug the circuit any further. Once I have successfully configured the MPLAB ide to flash programs to the processors using the evaluation board I will return to this project.

I appreciate the help pointing me in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.