Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

perturbation-based ADC Calibration

Status
Not open for further replies.

han sang jun

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I would like to know why PN noise samples are put in ADC input. What would happen if PN noise was not added?

I am not good at English. Please forgive my poor expressions.

Any low resolution ADC needs some form of randomness in its input so that the output will not contain any particular tonality compared to its quantization noise power spectral density. To break its tonality, the process of dithering is done by adding some very small (approximately 0.1-0.2LSB) in strength) pseudo random signal at its input. Adding PN of an oscillator or any other circuit would also accomplish the same dithering.

Your answer is correct. but as i know, dithering has two types: Subtractively dithering, nonsubtractively dithering.
i think, you answer is nonsubtractively dithering. What I'm curious about is subtractively dithering.
I think I need to study more.

anyway, thank you for your answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.