Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PDM vs PWM and stm32f103

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meri96

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone, although I researched, I could not understand the difference between PDM (pulse densty modulation) and PWM (pulse width modulation) in practice.
PDM: The analog modulation type in which the carrier signal pulse width changes according to the modulation signal. There is no change in the amplitude or position of the pulses. definition is made.

https://ars.els-cdn.com/content/image/3-s2.0-B0122274105001654-gr7.gif

PWM: a special case of PDM where the switching frequency is constant and all pulses corresponding to a sample are adjacent in the digital signal. definition is made.

https://circuitglobe.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/PWM-signal.jpg

It is described as the same in most sources, I can not see any difference in the graphics. Not used in fixed frequency in PDM? As an advantage, PDM allows ZVS / ZCS, reduces EMI, ok but how does it do it, what is the difference in implementation?

I have the stm32f103 microcontroller, can I produce PDM with this microcontroller?

PDM: The analog modulation type in which the carrier signal pulse width changes according to the modulation signal.
The definition is valid for PWM but not PDM although the pulse patterns may look similar in a shallow analysis. PDM is generated by switching a pulse of fixed length and frequency on and off. Sigma-delta modulator is a popular method to generate PDM.

Status
Not open for further replies.