Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCB tools (e.g., Protel and Orcad)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ee484

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
HI, all - This is about PCB designing tool.

I am wondering what's difference between Protel and Orcad?

One person told me Protel and orcad for pcd are the same. Is that right?

Also, can anyone explain what's going on in orcad?

There is a tool called allegro (this is PCB tool and was linux version ...at least I know of), but many PCB related tools in orcad....

I don't know what's the right tool I have to use and what's the big differences?

Any explainations or comments are welcome.

B

PCB tools (e.g., P*otel and Orcad)

Allegro is the professional PCB design tool from Cadence.

Protel and Orcad are not the same product. Protel is a company now called Altium, and the latest version of the PCB software is called Altium Designer. Orcad is distributed by Cadence Corporation, and the old Orcad PCB program has been discontinued by Cadence - Allegro is the replacement.

The two differenct PCB Editors are nothing alike. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses. Protel (Altium) is not available in a Linux version - Allegro does have a Linux version.

protell is a gient software in world for pcb but orcar is giant soft for analyzing.
you can use of proteus for simple project but protel is beter.

BOTH ARE PROFESSIONAL. U CAN TRY ANY ONE. TRIED EAGLE SOFT.

Protel is better.

Hi,
both of them are good,but protel(the newest version is called "Altium designer")
is the most professional CAD for PCB design,because of complete Database and libraries that u cant find in other same softwares.protel has more complete footprint and components separated by provider company and part No in detail,and it has many convenient and professional tools for PCB design.no doubt,PROTEL is more professional and useful.
BR

Status
Not open for further replies.