Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCB Manufacture and Component shopping

Status
Not open for further replies.

mindthomas

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi
I've decided that I would like to make a kit out of one of my inventions, the problem is that I don't know how to get started...
This is the board I would like to make to a kit: **broken link removed**

I've already got one professionally fabricated PCB (from BatchPCB) as a prototype, and it works great. But now I would like to get 10 boards (to start with), and that would probably be too expensive if I'm using BatchPCB. So which PCB Manufacturer would you recommend, when it's best that it is in Europe (else I have to pay 25% TAX)?

Then the next thing is the components. I checked the danish RS-Online.com, and the components needed for 10 kits would cost me $300 - and then again I thought, isn't there a cheaper provider in Europe?

Remember, all this is private, and unfortunately I'm not registered as a company ;)
So the ones I'm looking for should deal with private people too!

Best Regards
Thomas Jespersen

I use PCB-Pool (Beta Layout) for prototypes & small batches, so they might be worth checking out.

It may not help you, but as the bare PCB cost can be a major part of small volume manufacture, making it as small as possible can help.

For parts, you will be affected by delivery costs and minimum orders so you need to minimise the number of suppliers. While buying from the USA might not seem like a good idea, their lower costs plus good exchange rate may make sense for you if you can get it all from one supplier. Try mouser and digikey.

Keith

keith1200rs said:
I use PCB-Pool (Beta Layout) for prototypes & small batches, so they might be worth checking out.

It may not help you, but as the bare PCB cost can be a major part of small volume manufacture, making it as small as possible can help.

For parts, you will be affected by delivery costs and minimum orders so you need to minimise the number of suppliers. While buying from the USA might not seem like a good idea, their lower costs plus good exchange rate may make sense for you if you can get it all from one supplier. Try mouser and digikey.

Keith
Thanks Keith.
I've had a look at PCB-Pool myself, and when I tried the calculater it said about 300 EURO, but if I then checked the site I saw their 1dm2 prices and then the calculator price looked totally wrong. Isn't it possible to combine 10 boards on a panel, as 10 of my boards fills 0.84dm2?

Buying components from the USA seems reasonable in some ways like pricing, but I still have to remember the 25% TAX + $25 (goes to danish postal service for handling TAX). So maybe it isn't that good?
I will check mouser - but do they have any warehouses in Europe?

Thomas

Are you sure 10 of your boards fit in 0.84dm2? It looks a lot larger than 42mm x 20mm. 1dm2 is 100mm x 100mm.

I think the USA companies always ship from the USA, so you will have the tax problem.

I don't know much about European suppliers because in the UK RS & Farnell dominate and that covers most things for me. Quite a few hobbyists use Rapid, I think: https://www.rapidonline.com/

Farnell's CPC arm can sometimes be cheaper: https://cpc.farnell.com/

Keith.

keith1200rs said:
Are you sure 10 of your boards fit in 0.84dm2? It looks a lot larger than 42mm x 20mm. 1dm2 is 100mm x 100mm.

I think the USA companies always ship from the USA, so you will have the tax problem.

I don't know much about European suppliers because in the UK RS & Farnell dominate and that covers most things for me. Quite a few hobbyists use Rapid, I think: https://www.rapidonline.com/

Farnell's CPC arm can sometimes be cheaper: https://cpc.farnell.com/

Keith.
Sorry, my bad. I meant to say that one board was 0.824dm2 (122.42mm x 67.31mm) :)
I will take a look at both Farnell's CPC and Rapidonline.

That should be 66Euros from PCB pool for 1. 10 of them would cost a total of 186Euros.

Keith.

keith1200rs said:
That should be 66Euros from PCB pool for 1. 10 of them would cost a total of 186Euros.

Keith.
Hmm, when I use the Online Price Calculator it says Gross price for 10 pieces is 203.42Euro
But how do you create an account and order on the PCB-Pool site?

Thomas

Make sure you have selected the correct options for solder mask & silk screen. I assume you only have one silk screen and the solder mask is the same on both the top & bottom (only through hole components).

I must admit I don't know how you create an account! I have been using them for so long I have forgotten. I think you probably just add the PCB order to the "shopping basket" and proceed to the checkout and you will eventually have to give some details. Until you give them some credit card details, which I assume would be the final step, you are not committed.

Keith.

Added after 1 minutes:

I have just checked and the price you have would be for top and bottom silk screen.

Keith.

keith1200rs said:
Make sure you have selected the correct options for solder mask & silk screen. I assume you only have one silk screen and the solder mask is the same on both the top & bottom (only through hole components).

I must admit I don't know how you create an account! I have been using them for so long I have forgotten. I think you probably just add the PCB order to the "shopping basket" and proceed to the checkout and you will eventually have to give some details. Until you give them some credit card details, which I assume would be the final step, you are not committed.

Keith.

Added after 1 minutes:

I have just checked and the price you have would be for top and bottom silk screen.

Keith.
Yes I also have different silkscreens :)
The problem is I can't click "Into the shopping basket"!

mindthomas said:

I think you don't see that until you have selected all options including things like etest & overdelivery & free stencil options (yes/no).

Keith.

keith1200rs said:
mindthomas said:

I think you don't see that until you have selected all options including things like etest & overdelivery & free stencil options (yes/no).

Keith.
I have filled out everything...
I just called them and they don't seem to have any difficult placing an order?
I tried in 3 different browsers now, and none of them are working :?:

Edited:
I got it working now :)

Why don't you try phonix Gold:

**broken link removed**

155inch sq = 1000 CM S = $99

I don't think you can beat that price with any of the sites you mentioned.

I used them many times and their quality is very good and they are fast and reliable.

I didn't figure out what the problem was, but after a restart it worked :|
I know Gold Phoenix, but unfortunately they ship from Canada, so I have to pay the 25% TAX + $25 as I said :(

Sorry, I missed that.
For me they were shipped from China, even with the VAT, it was much cheaper since my board was only 4.3cmx5.3cm and I got a lot of them.

Best regards,
/Farhad

Hi Thomas,

We ET LIMITED are the PCB and PCBA manufacturer with 12 years experience in China.we can provide PCB,components and assembly as your requirements with competitive price if you want to find the supplier in China.

We are very interested in your project after checking your design, could you send more details(Gerber file,Bom and specification of board) to me? We will try our best to serve you :)

And welcome to our website www.etlimited.cn to learn more.

Looking forward to your further information :)

Best regards

Cassie

Added after 18 minutes:

farhada said:
Sorry, I missed that.
For me they were shipped from China, even with the VAT, it was much cheaper since my board was only 4.3cmx5.3cm and I got a lot of them.

Best regards,
/Farhad

Hi Farhad,

I am glad to hear that your import the boards from China.We are the PCB and PCBA manufacturer with 12 years experience.

It will be our honor to be your new supplier.Welcome to our website www.etlimited.cn and factory.

If you have any enquiry,please free contact me,we will do our best service for you.

B.R

Cassie

Status
Not open for further replies.