Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PC to MCU Serial communication connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

chandlerbing65nm

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi folks,

I have this ADM3202 in my board which is to be used to communicate serially from PC to MCU and vice versa. It's main functions are to send commands from PC-MCU and receive sensor data (fprintf) from MCU-PC only.
ADM3202.PNG

I wonder what external connector should I use to connect it to my PC.

1. DB9 RS-232 Serial to Terminal adapter Connector Breakout Board
RS232.PNG

2. FTDI Serial TTL-232 USB Cable
FTDI Serial TTL-232 USB Cable.PNG

I don't have the actual hardware yet and the board, so there is no way I can test it practically.
If someone can help, thank you very much!

Regards,
Chandler

Hi,

The ADM3202 is a TTL to RS232 transmitter IC.
So you need an interface which is RS232 compatible. That´s all.

If your PC still has mature RS232 ports, then you may use the DB9 board and a RS232 cable.

But you may also use a USB to (true) RS232 converter. We can´t see whether the shown USB cable works with TTL levels or RS232 levels.
You need to be sure that there are true RS232 levels.

Note: RS232 lines need to be crossed: Tx of one device needs to go to Rx of the other device and vice versa.

Klaus

The FTDI cable series is named TTL-232xxx because it uses logic (TTL) level. 3.3V and 5V versions are available.

Status
Not open for further replies.