Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PC Oscilloscope Design using Altera

Status
Not open for further replies.

glenjoy

Banned
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
radjab_oscope

I am wondering if it is possible to design a PC oscilloscope using VHDL and Altera.

The port used of the PC will be the serial port.

Thanks.

pc oscilloscope design

Depends if you want real-time or just a logic analyzer/capture style. Serial is pretty slow, but otherwise, I don't see why you can't do it. You still need interfacing circuitry around the FPGA

oscilloscope design

yeah why not.

ive got a better idea. dont interface it with a PC. interface it with a VGA monitor. you can buy kits that have connectors for VGA/LCD monitors and comes with the code for the drivers.

you will have to make a GUI for the scope in VHDL with all the control knobs on the screen and the display. it will be a cool real-time embedded system.

EDIT: if that sounds like rocket science to you (it does to me :D) then have a look at this https://www.fpga4fun.com/digitalscope.html

Hi

The easy way in a Altera device is to place a signal tap analyser inside a device
montoring a couple of input pins , and taking this pins to the circuit you need to have alook at , the analyzer software is already built into the quartus software.

Regards
W

well there is a application note on www.xess.xom which describes Oscilloscope using Verilog.

View it u will get benefit

Whay you do not use Xilinx Chipscope, or Altera SignalTap?

Re: PC Oscilloscope Design using @ltera

Johnson said:
Whay you do not use Xilinx Chipscope, or @ltera SignalTap?

Please read more carefully topic ... :)

It is for PC interfaced oscilloscope, based on FPGA, but not for debugging FPGA internals ...

Sorry I made a mistake, however we can use them as a Logic Analyzer not just a debug tool!:D

im just new to use vhdl.. im searching for a reference for my project and i found the link,. when i started to simulate the code given im confused on how to map the components.. can u help me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back