Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Patch antenna design....need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

isharan

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello guys,

I need your help to give me some guide on patch antenna design.

I just design a rectangular patch antenna using the standard formula for 5.8 Ghz antenna. the feeding is microstrip line with 50 ohm matching.

But As I see the S11 plot it looks flat and doesn't seems to resonate at 5.8 Ghz.

Do we need to do it as trial and error like changing the length, slot..and so on..

How do we start solving this?

Pls let me know...the available techniques to make it usable for UWB..

Thank you

Hi Isharan
Firstly verify your design.
for this you can use this calculator
https://www.emtalk.com/mpacalc.php

Now if you are giving edge feeding try to change the position of feeding point of ling along the edge.

If you are giving feeding whit inset feedpoint then try to change the side gapes.

And plz check that you are giving feed through width not through length. I have recently design a patch antenna with f=5.8Ghz in ansoft and done this mistake.

Now if every thing is right try to change the length of patch.

thank you Aniruddha Xab

It is very helpful. Now, if i did as what u said, do i need to put ground plane?

partial, or slit ground?

I check the calculator and the parametrs are ok.....w= 16mm and length =12mm.

do u add any slot or steps in it?

I have used infinity ground plane.
So if u want u can use it or use this formula to calculate the ground plane dimensions
Lg = 6h + L
Wg = 6h + W

No need to add a slot or step, they are just used to reduce the length.
what is the polarization of the antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back