Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Pair of bipolar transistors - crazy connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

bodzio_stawski

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello!

I would like to ask if any of you have come across this type of connection of bipolar transistors:
1647894525477.png

I don't remember the rest of the circuit - I draw it from my memory. But I am sure about the direction and type of the transistors themselves.

In order to adopt some model of GND, it would have to look something like this:

1647894792833.png

Regards

Bogdan

Hi,

please give all parts in your schematic unique names to avoid misunderstanding.

When there is enough voltage between V2 and V1 then - because of the left resistor - the left BJT becomes conductive.
It´s emitter current goes through the right resistor and cuases a voltage drop. At a certain current the voltage is enough to make the right BJT conductive.
..and then then this reduces V_BE of the left BJT.
--> a current limiter

Klaus

As Klaus mentioned, it is a current limiter, might be also thermally coupled pair.
It looks like part of the linear voltage regulator like uA78XX. Check datasheet of this regulator series.

Status
Not open for further replies.