Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

overshoot of LTC3440?

Status
Not open for further replies.

muoinhohn

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all
I use LTC3440 with boost topology to convert from 3.7V to 5V.
I made a circuit like in LTC 3440 datasheet (page 16). But when i simulate it with SwitcherCAD, I get one overshoot 9V at the start-up moment with a settle time is 0.4ms.
With overshoot 9V, it is important. How do i make to reduce this ?
Thank in advance.

Sounds like you might want to adjust the soft start capacitor and resistor. I believe that is te Rss and Css capacitors tied to the \[\bar{SHDN}/SS\] pin. You might want to slightly raise the Rss and/or Css values to see if this will limit the peak for you.

Best regards,
v_c

Last edited by a moderator:

muoinhohn

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi
It's ok. Now the overshoot is 5.15V. It is acceptable.
muoinho

Great! I am glad it worked -- did you just adjust the soft start resistor and capacitor? Sometimes you have to ramp up the dc voltages for the IC to kick in. There is an option in LTspice to ramp the sources. By the way, since you are using LTspice I should mention a few things.

1. There is a very nice LTspice Yahoo! group that you should consider joining (if you have not done so already). The people there are very nice and the original developer of the software read the group as well (Mike Engelhardt) -- he is extremely knowledgable. I have not visited the user's group in a while but in the past they have been very helpful.

2. Download this file from Linear Technology **broken link removed**
This file contains lots of material including a presentation on LTspice made my Mike. It also includes a directory called "jigs" which has a test circuit for nearly all of the ICs that Linear Technology makes. In most cases, the circuit that is setup in these "jigs" or test setups is the example circuit that is mentioned in the datasheet. So you may find this extemely useful to get a circuit simulation started.

Best regards,
v_c

Hi
Yes, I joined LTSpice group and found much helps about LTSpice.
Thanks again for the link of handout. I'm downloading it and going to read examples.
Best regards
Muoinho

yes, that user group is very good. but i donot know about the handout thing. i just downloaded, very nice. thank you for the nice piece of info

v_c said:
Great! I am glad it worked -- did you just adjust the soft start resistor and capacitor? Sometimes you have to ramp up the dc voltages for the IC to kick in. There is an option in LTspice to ramp the sources. By the way, since you are using LTspice I should mention a few things.

1. There is a very nice LTspice Yahoo! group that you should consider joining (if you have not done so already). The people there are very nice and the original developer of the software read the group as well (Mike Engelhardt) -- he is extremely knowledgable. I have not visited the user's group in a while but in the past they have been very helpful.

2. Download this file from Linear Technology h**p://ltspice.linear.com/software/handout.zip
This file contains lots of material including a presentation on LTspice made my Mike. It also includes a directory called "jigs" which has a test circuit for nearly all of the ICs that Linear Technology makes. In most cases, the circuit that is setup in these "jigs" or test setups is the example circuit that is mentioned in the datasheet. So you may find this extemely useful to get a circuit simulation started.

Best regards,
v_c

Status
Not open for further replies.