Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Override local radio FM transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.

oyvdahl

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

I am planning on doing a little trick on my friends a couple of weeks from now.
What I want to do is to build a small FM transmitter that can override the radio station we are listening to with my own sounds. For example create a fake news story in the middle of the radio show they are listening to.

But is this possible?
I tried with the iTrip FM transmitter, but could not make it work. but if I build one with more power, will it override or will it just blend with the local station and sound like noise?

Best regards
Oyvind

Last edited:

It depends on how strong the radio station is. In order to completely override it you need a field strength maybe ten times stronger, without knowing the exact strength and path the radio signal is following it is very diifficult to give a precise figure. If you can get very close to the receiver or it's antenna it should be fairly easy though with just a few mW of power. Proximity is more important than power.

Please bear in mind that your signal will be broadcast and may be picked up by other listeners in the vicinity.

Brian.

Reactions: oyvdahl

oyvdahl

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
The power of the iTrip transmitter is 50 nW ERP. **broken link removed**
The power of local radio stations in typically several kW ERP.

The iTrip may be operated legally because it has so very little power, and the range is VERY limited. Operating something with higher power is technical possible, but strictly illegal, unless you have the official license. I know someone who ran such an illegal transmitter many years ago - he had to pay a very serious fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back