Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Outputs of a weird stepper motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreed75

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a stepper motor that is like a unipolar motor in that it has a center tap but then it is like a bipolar motor because it only has two coils (3 wires total). I want to use the SN754410 to drive the motor but I have a question about it. Since it has four outputs, can i just hook two of the outputs to the center tap wire without damaging the IC. During each step, one of the outputs that is jumpered together will get +/-14V voltage on it. If there is a possibility of damaging it, how would I go about wiring a diode or something onto it? Do I need something more complicated like a multivibrator to switch the unused output off?

Here is the way it is supposed to be hooked up:

39_1167160593.jpg

Here is what I need to do:

88_1167160927.jpg

Re: weird stepper motor

if you connect motor in that way, (two outputs together) you will make short circuit in one step (eg op3=hi, op4=low).
if you connect (motor) centre tap to half of voltage and use only 2 outputs maybe it will work. too complicated. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back