[SOLVED] output of lm358 is less than 3v!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasanthceg

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i made an ir sensor for line tracing using lm358 as a comparator.. i am getting the lm358 output as 2.5v.. so naturally when i connect it to the microcontroller, mc does not respond to the sensor.. can anyone suggest a solution for increasing the output voltage of lm358.. i dont wish to change the comparator further..

Hi, LM358 is not a rail to rail opamp... I recommend you to use a rail to rail opamp to get full voltage. Any manufacturer designed rail-to-rail opamps you only have to search and you'll find... I hope this would help you.

LM358 is not a rail to rail opamp
No, but it can drive logic level in most cases, though. Depending on the logic standard, a pull-up resistor may be required.
P.S.:
my supply voltage is 5v
Refer to the LM358 data sheet. You can expect about 3.8 V for the unloaded output. 2.5 V means the device is either defective or you're drawing more than 20 mA from the output, which wouldn't be a good idea. Check your circuit!

You can expect about 3.8 V for the unloaded output. 2.5 V means the device is either defective or you're drawing more than 20 mA from the output, which wouldn't be a good idea. Check your circuit!

can u pls help me out for decreasing the current from the output??

It seems absolutely correct. Did you try to drive the microprocessor pin from a resistor, if it's actually configured as input?

If the regular unloaded LM358 output high voltage of about 3.8 V isn't sufficient to drive the input, you can connect a pull-up resistor of 5 - 10k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…