Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Outdoor LED street light

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salman Ahmad

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
Me and my group is making LED outdoor street light. The question is -what is LED driver and power supply and in what way they are connects. I am using 2 watt LED and I will use around 30 LED for the light so how much power supply do I need?, how should I manage heat dissipation, whether I need to use heat sink or anything else and how should I use?:bang::bang: Kindly help me!!!!!

Hi,

I am using 2 watt LED and I will use around 30 LED for the light so how much power supply do I need?
My 7 years old daughter should be able to answer this.

About heatsink: Yes, you will need a heatsink. But as long as you don't provide more information, we can't help.
Max. Ambient temperature, max led chip temperature, thermal resistance of LED... size, material, cost, fan allowed?

Read datasheets, application notes, and start the calculations. If you encounter any specific problems, then you are welcome to ask.

Klaus

Obviously you need a power supply capable of at least 2w*30 or 60W. How much more depends on the configuration.

As to configuration and power supply you might play with http://ledcalc.com/ and see.

You can choose either a CV [constant voltage] or CC [constant current] power supply. I suspect, in your case, you will want CV.

Otherwise it is as KlausST stated.

I am using 2 watt LED and I will use around 30 LED for the light so how much power supply do I need?

I don't know any LED component which operates with so high power. I suspect you're referring to an assembled array. Whatever the current/voltage supply mode you select as Klaus mentioned above, in order to optimize the spent energy you must also consider to do that in pulsed mode.

Many LED manufacturers make high power LEDs. All the street and traffic lights in my city use them. High power LED light bulbs for homes are sold everywhere. But I use inexpensive compact fluorescent light bulbs instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.