Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

OTA-C Filter design and its tuning

Status
Not open for further replies.

ICdesignerbeginner

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

I want help in OTA-C filter design. OTA can be tuned its electronically tunable device. If OTA is a linear OTA using source degeneration MOS then do I have to vary the resistance of the source degenerated MOS or do I have to vary the biasing current to tune the OTA to vary its gm?

Secondly, If I have dsigned a GM-C filter then do I have to tune all OTAs resistance incase of source degenerated MOS used in OTA or tune all transistors biasing currents or just can I vary the current or resistance of one OTA only?

Thanks & regards

Source degenerated OTA gm can be no longer controlled by a current source. Need to tune the degeneration resistor. Unfortunately variable resistor linearity isn't necessarily better than of a non-degenerated OTA.
do I have to tune all OTAs resistance incase of source degenerated MOS used in OTA or tune all transistors biasing currents or just can I vary the current or resistance of one OTA only?

Depends on the filter structure. Usually you have to tune multiple OTA stages, e.g. all integrators - two OTAs per bi-quad. Otherwise filter parameters like Q or gain vary unintentionally.

Status
Not open for further replies.