Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

optocoupler for 13kv 30mA!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

alitaban

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi!
i want a type of optocoupler for 13kv 30mA!
i know this is possible.even I'm ready for make it myself!
some maters like selenioum,cadmium sulfid,... have this ability.but how?
if you know how this matters work with this voltage,please share with us!

>>>i share you share we learn<<<

Please be more specific.
Is the 13KV the isolation needed between input and output?
Is the 30mA the current it passes on the 13KV side or the current it has to switch on the isolated side?
What voltage does the isolated side work on?
Is any particular transfer ratio needed?
Is any particular response time needed?

Conditional on answers to the above, yes, it should be quite easy and inexpensive to make one.

Brian.

hi
I have 2 wires with13kv voltage and max 30mAmp output and infinite money!
now I want an optocoupler!
how can I make it?
please say only for coupling.don't focus on max.share your knowledge for min(long time reaction or ...)Gradually we'll improve it!

Last edited:

My first approach would be to use a series of resistors and a neon lamp in series across the 13KV. The resistors should limit the current to about 0.5mA, use several resistors so each has a lower voltage dropped across it.
Then use a plastic rod light guide to carry the neon glow to a photo-transistor sensor. Encase it all in a light shield so external ight can't get in.

The total resistance should be about 26M Ohms and most axial resistors are OK up to 250V so I would use 55 x 470K resistors.

Brian.

okay!!;-):lol:
for start is very good!
but isn,t efficient.first problem is very low current.
please solve it by your dreams to next step and solve next problem!
very very thanx!

Why is low current a problem?

Usually, a low current at the high voltage side is good. On the sensor side, you can use a transistor to increase it's current capability if you need it.

If you are looking for an optocoupler that actually NEEDS 13KV/30mA to operate it, you won't find one! It would consume 390W and get VERY hot!

Brian.

okay!
this isn't my first try,but i'm surrending here!!
all results are negative,probablly I should ignore it.
yes?

The problem specification is still vague. How about sketching a schematic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back