Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Opto triac firing time

Status
Not open for further replies.

p55xp

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
HI everybody,
What minimum pulse width is required at the LED end (pin 1, 2) to fire the optically coupled triac in an MOC3021? I need to know this for a micro-controller driven power control system. Please help.
Thanks.
p55xp

Thanks for the reply.
What is 'normalized led trigger current'? is it simple voltage drop in led/r? How this can be measured?
Thanks.
p55xp

"Normalized" means that the plotted value has to be multiplied with the standard value. The pulse width curve shows the factor that the trigger current for 100 us pulse width has to be multiplied with.

Thanks FvM,
but the idea is still not very clear to me; sorry.
What I clearly understand is pulse width is inversely proportional to current in led (also intensity of led). Please clarify what you say with a simple example. It is also written in the datasheet that LED Trigger Current, Current Required to Latch Output is between 8 to 15 mA in case of MOC3021. Now (after reading your post!) what I think a maximum pulse width of 1.8uS is required to latch the device even if the current varies (device to device of MOC3021) between 8 to 15 mA. Please clarify if I am correct. Still I do not understand where from the 'multiplication factor' came.
Thanks.
p55xp

Status
Not open for further replies.