Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Opto Isolator Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark30504

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello

I have an application were I need 24V DC Plus out

I want to use an opto isolator but all seem to be NPN.

Any Thoughs ?

thanks

Mark

Tie the collector of the output transistor to the
+24v rail. It IS isolated, after all.
<als>

Hi, you may simply add external PNP transistor which will be driven from that NPN inside optoisolator. In this way you will avoid placing a load in emitter circiut.

Hello

Thanks for the replys

I would like to do it without adding componets if possible. So,

Are you saying the opto acts more like a switch. that is,

By connecting the Collector to 24 V Plus and using the emitter to drive my circuit ?

So that the emitter goes low when the transistor in the opto is off, should I add a resistor to 0V DC to the emitter pin ?

I have always seen the opto drawn as NPN working. That is,

The emitter tied to 0V and a resistor on the collector to Plus DC and the signal taken at the collector juction of resistor and collector pin.

Are you saying it will work either way ? Collector to Plus and resistor to OV on Emitter ? Signal taken at the Emitter pin ?

Thanks

Mark

Hi,
Yes, sure it works, but check the Vceo specs of the output transistor. Also use a high resistor from its base to ground. The collector resistor should be large enough to limit the current to ensure that the transistor enters into saturation for a given input diode current.

Regards,
Laktronics

Status
Not open for further replies.