Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

optical versus electrical link

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost Tweaker

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
fo link electrical

Hi,

does someone have an article about optical and coaxial link comparison?

Thanx

Ghost

I dont know such a link. But I can share my modest knowledge on the subject with you.

* Fibre Optic link has a bigger band-widht than coaxial link. It is bandwith is in the range of terra hertz.

* Fibre Optic link has a very small volume compared to coaxial link. Tha thickness of A fiber optic link is about hair thickness.

* Attenuation of coaxial link is much larger than fiber optic link.

* Cross talk for fiber optic link is nearly zero. İt can be said that there is no cross talk between fiber optic links

* EM wave can be guided much better than coaxial link. For example bend a coaxial link there will be some leakage signal at the bending region of line. But in fiber optic line this kind of leakage is nearly zero.

For that It can be said that fiber optic link much secure against line tappings for eavesdropping.

Thanx. What I'm more interested in is the transceivers required at each end of the link. Do you have an idea of the price for such devices at 1.5Gb/s?

Hi Ghost Tweaker

you can find it in

**broken link removed**

for your Knowledge the optic link Tx –Rx is aprox. -25db for 3GHz
-40db for 10GHz the fiber give -0.25db per Km so the Tx –Rx units
have big attenuation. Now you know the length of the coaxial cable
that you can compare with. (see atten. In cable catalog)

RGZ

I agree with most of preceeding answers. I would add some info.
The FO link (TX+FO+RX) loss is almost 0 dB (typ -3dB to +3dB) but it's extremally noisy (NF 30+dB)
The cost of an analog (don't appy to digital) rise exponentially vs bandwidth in GHz.
If the phase stability (i.e. vs temperature) is important consider the use of the "floating" FO inside its jacket or the aged (or compensed) coax cables.
Power handling (and intermodulation) is also important, choose cable if you have large power (>1Watt)... if you shoud transer houndred of watt... please consider the waveguide rather than coax or FO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back