Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

optical sensor in rotary encoders

Status
Not open for further replies.

malhotra18

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am trying to make an Optical Rotary Encoder please can anyone suggest that which optical sensor will be best for good resolution and accuracy...I have made one using Photo diode as receptor but the proble i am facing is that switching is not fast enough which results in a lot of error....so what can be done to make photo diode switch fast or should I use some other sensor(phototransistor or Photoresistor) and please do tell the reason...thank you..

There are specific optical sensor arrays for optical encoder. For high precision the sensing is quite complex but can be done with single chip optical encoders. They include compensated control of the LED for scanning a code disc. A good source of information about optical encoder iCs you can find on the web: https://ichaus.biz/keyword/Optical Encoder iCs .

Enjoy your design work!

I am trying to make an Optical Rotary Encoder please can anyone suggest that which optical sensor will be best for good resolution and accuracy...I have made one using Photo diode as receptor but the proble i am facing is that switching is not fast enough which results in a lot of error....so what can be done to make photo diode switch fast or should I use some other sensor(phototransistor or Photoresistor) and please do tell the reason...thank you..

i think, speed of photo diode is fast enought. this problem can generated by read device singnal's photo diode

Status
Not open for further replies.