Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Opinions on VCS and ModelSim SE tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

kattice

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm trying to purchase a verilog HDL simulation tool either VCS or ModelSim SE. Does anyone know pro and con for both? Also, you do any recommended tool?

Thanks,

Re: VCS or ModelSim SE

Hi kattice:

In which platform you will install the simulate? Nt or Unix/Linux?

Modelsim is the most popular simulator in Nt platform. But VCS and NC

will be prefered in Unix/Linux platform.

And you should also consider one thing, the gate-level simulate speed

of VCS/NC is faster then Modelsim.

Finally, if you wanna use Vera to verify your design, VCS will be the best

choice, because the speed of combination of "VCS+Vera" is fast the "Any

Other Simulate+Vera".

wang1

I'm running Win XP. As you might know, the price of VCS is about 60K and Modelsim is about 20K. Is the gate level simulation significantly faster to justify the money value?

Many think that VCS is usually for ASIC and ModelSim is usually for FPGA. I know I am asking a question that is similar to "PC or Mac".

Anyhow, thanks for your inputs.

K.

VCS is better.. hense the price tag.. but modelsim will do quite a bit too.. I wouldn't say that modelsim is for FPGA..

I guess the biggest factor would be how big the design is your trying to make.. If its huge I would go VCS. But if its not overly large Modelsim will cut it.

jelydonut

If you're doing FPGA work I'd suggest Modelsim. If you're doing ASIC design or IP targeted at SOC's many of your customers will be using the Cadence or Synplicity simulators, and will expect your scripts to support them.

Modelsim is a perfectly good simulator and is certainly cheaper to own - maintanence is a reasonable percentage of the purchase cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back