Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Opinions on using Cadence Ultrasim for simulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vitamin-C

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

Does anyone have used ultrasim for simulation ?
Is it good in term of accuracy and speed?
I need some opinion from the existing users.

Vita

Re: C@dence Ultr@sim

Yes,
I have been using it.
I like it, it offers good speed over spectre(trade off accuracy).
This would kill hsim real soon.
Labo

C@dence Ultr@sim

Hi,

Could someone post the benchmark between Ultrasim, Hsim or Nanosim ? Compared with silicon result, which tool is better in terms of accuracy and speed ??

HSIM is the best in terms of accuracy (use analog mode 3); Ultrasim is probably silmilar to Nanosim. My opinion, up to now, HSIM is the best transistor level simulator to simulate the design which HSPICE has the difficulty.

I wonder if someone has more information about the others competitors of HSIM such as Synopsys/nanosim, Cadence/ultrasim and Evercad/ADiT.

As far as I know, Nassda is the only vendor that shows lots of data on their website (**broken link removed** and **broken link removed**) comparing memory usage and simulation time for many different classes of circuits. I understand that is marketing oriented data but at least we can have an idea of what kind of circuit the tool can handle.

Does someone know where we can find similar information for the others tools?

Take care.

tao_168,
Ultrasim supports all the modes of HSIM, including digital, MS, analog and spice. It also supports spectre and hspice syntax.
The best thing about ultrasim is that it also handles structural verilog and ahdl.
There is another newer Product called amsUltra(ultrasim & amsDesigner(-spectre) which will be introduced this year.
Labo

My Question is what is the difference between Ultrasim
and Nanosim? Are they more or less the same kind of
product ?

Vita

Hi Vitamin-C,

Yes. They are pretty much the same "class" of simulator. These new family of simulators are generally called fast Spice simulators because they are much faster than the second generation Spice-like tools such as HSPICE and SPECTRE. Besides, they can also handle much bigger circuits. In 2nd gen. simulators the memory usage grows very quickly with the number of transistors.

Take a look at the link in my previous post and you will find good information about the difference between these types of simulators.

Take care.

I heard from my Japannese contact that UltraSim is dead there.
Gave up at benchmark too.

Try ADiT, if you are currently using HSIM, Nanosim, or UltraSim.
You will see how accurate and faster it is.

http://www.evercad.com/successstories.html

I tried SmartSpice and it ran 14 days on my PLL. But with ADiT, it finished it 3days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back