Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Opinions on PC oscilloscopes

Status
Not open for further replies.

augratin

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi gang. I'm wondering if anyone has some experience with o-scope probe-to-USB devices that allow you to use your laptop as an o-scope. Seeing as how laptops can do almost anything these days, it seems like I should not have to have both sitting on my workbench. It would be great if I could moth-ball that monster of an o-scope and free-up some space on my work bench.

I have several PC oriented instruments, all have performed very well, except the PC Based USB Oscilloscope which has been a nightmare. Imagine typing the keyboard, moving the mouse and probing the circuit board simultaneously, frankly three hands isn't enough. The logic analyzer, the signal generator and pattern generator work extremely well, however the PC Based USB scope just does not adapt itself well to the PC environment. I suggest saving your money and invest in other PC based instrumentation like the logic analyzer, which has performed beyond my expectations, and purchasing a standalone DSO for the bench. One of the scope's most beneficial attributes is probing the circuit at will, which is not conducive to the PC environment with a keyboard and mouse to contend with.

BigDog

I have to disagree with the post on the USB Oscope. I am a distributor for the Pico range of USB Scopes and have sold more than 2000 scopes since I started representing Pico in North America 4 or 5 years ago. I can say without doubt that just about every customer who has bought one of these scopes loves them and use them all the time. We have customers who have outfitted their entire field service department with the Pico Scopes.

Many customers have bought more than 1 scope from us and upgraded from the old Parallel port models to the latest USB models.

Sorry but with so many happy customers I can only say that the person who posted the last post has either used some scope with lousy software or has not tried a Pico scope.
Gerry

While I don't use PC based instruments much, I know quite a few people who do and they seem to like them, as Gerry says. I think they are particularly useful if you want to get data or waveforms onto a PC where some bench oscilloscopes can be a pain.

Keith

I'm not opposed to PC instruments in general. As a matter of fact, I have found a PC based Logic Analyzer and Waveform Generator very handy for particular jobs. And while I have not used a Pico scope, I have own several well known brands of PC based scopes and while the software interfaces do vary in features and flaws, the main grip I have with them is the difficulty of probing a circuit while at the same time adjusting the interfaces settings with either a mouse or the keyboard. It is often difficult with both hands and feet.

I have been more than happy with the logic analyzer and waveform generator.

However, I'll take a standalone scope any day over a PC based scope. Besides my new scope has an USB interface to allow for easy transfer of data and waveforms to my PC.

BigDog

About ten years ago I tried a parallel port oscilloscope from Pico Technology. I reported bugs in their software, their UK tech support confirmed the bugs. A few months later there was no update and I gave up pestering them. I hope they are better now.

I bought a Hantek DSO-2250 a couple of years ago. I am very disappointed. Hantek claim 8bit samples but it is only 6bit samples. Lower two bits are random.
The specification claims 512Ksamples but dosn't say that it is 10Ksamples if set faster than 200uS/Div. I did not get what I paid for.
The windows software is very buggy. The Openhantek software for linux dosn't support this model.

Hantek products are also sold branded Voltcraft, Darkwire, Protek and Acetech.

I recommend you don't buy a Hantek.

We've distributed and supported Pico Technology products in North America since 1998, as well as other PC-based scopes and economical bench scopes. Both types have different advantages: PC-scopes give you FFT frequency capabilities that some bench scopes don't; and they're also excellent for teaching (use a large display), logging, or printing out waveforms for reports. Pico's scope-in-a-probe is also very compact for field use, since engineers will probably have a laptop with them anyway why not use its computing and display capabilities? PC-based scopes can give you more sampling bits (12 or 16-bit sampling) at affordable prices when a bench scope with that spec would be really expensive. Bench scopes are ready-to-go at anytime without having to load software.
Dave at EEVblog critically compares some PC-based scopes with a Rigol bench scope here: EEVblog #13 Part 2 of 2 – PC Based Digital Storage Oscilloscope Comparison | EEVblog - The Electronics Engineering Video Blog

I look at Pico's line every so often and they are still well below
the performance of my TDS3054 in terms of channel bandwidth
(you have to get past the specs they trumpet, and look at the
fine print). If I were looking for a home / hobby or even work
'scope my money would be on eBay and a used Tek digital
'scope. If you get one with GPIB you can USB-GPIB it, if not
then it's good ol' floppyNet for transfers.

Used top-end (in its day) equipment beats new bottom-end
for value. Especially if you buy it with a fresh cal.

Status
Not open for further replies.